Kelberi, Bahia, Gold, 24K - Whats the difference?

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Ken f1s will have a big variation in charecteristics. Just like plants. When you start breeding the traits you want and start gettn into f2, f3, f4+ you can start to keep the traits you want. You gotta figure there were more than 1 pair of bahias around as well. THose are just the originals. So there will be differences in everyones bahias...just depends who bred them. Remember when your's were first imported @200ea. Now your seeing f2s in the US go as low as $40ea.....sometimes cheaper. In sg the prices are even lower....even on the azuls and other kelberi variants. ITs their ability to keep tropical fish outside in ponds. They are able to breed them much easier thus making the number of bass much more available. I wish we could do this on the mainland.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Ken f1s will have a big variation in charecteristics. Just like plants. When you start breeding the traits you want and start gettn into f2, f3, f4+ you can start to keep the traits you want. You gotta figure there were more than 1 pair of bahias around as well. THose are just the originals. So there will be differences in everyones bahias...just depends who bred them. Remember when your's were first imported @200ea. Now your seeing f2s in the US go as low as $40ea.....sometimes cheaper. In sg the prices are even lower....even on the azuls and other kelberi variants. ITs their ability to keep tropical fish outside in ponds. They are able to breed them much easier thus making the number of bass much more available. I wish we could do this on the mainland.
My point is I got 4 F1 bahias from the same shipment and all 4 look different. I know you're going to tell me no two fish are the same like my batch of F1 xingus. So is it a crap shoot regardless of parents?

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
In a way. F1 has the hybrid vigor to it. SO your gonna have variations from both parents.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
My point is I got 4 F1 bahias from the same shipment and all 4 look different. I know you're going to tell me no two fish are the same like my batch of F1 xingus. So is it a crap shoot regardless of parents?
But, you also have to think that the bahias in Taiwan also had about three males and four females. So, the F1's could have been a mix of different parents.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

borchbuild

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
westmont,il
I dont think there was differnt pairs or multiple parents. A couple spawns could supply the world for a few years. My second spawn was 1200. My first failed spawn the eggs took up a area about 12" x 48" The first took up less then half of a16" plate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store