On the problem of identifying African Tiger fish and the mythical Black Goliath.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
1- Heavily photoshopped but probably not. Look at the shape,

2- Almost certainly

3- Probably.

I'm hesitant to make a definitive conclusion of "yes, that fish is from the Zambezi" when there is quite a bit of variation even within populations. I will say "yes, in my opinion that fish is probably from the Zambezi", but I don't want anyone to take it as anything but just that, my opinion. I think the easiest way to pick out a Zambezi Vittatus Tiger Fish (ZVTF from here out) is to find one that is morphologically very similar to a TATF. There's always the chance we could see a vittatus that is a ZVTF that just happens to not have good color. We know Congo vittatus (CVTF) look like a football, but I've noticed that ZVTF are built like a tanzaniae. Compare the build of the ones you posted to this tanzaniae:

View attachment 863585

And to this fish, West1's verified CVTF. This fish has wonderful colors too, but the body shape is quite different from the ZVTF you posted.

View attachment 863586

What I DO know is this:

-ZVTF have a TATF like build
-ALL ZVTF will have a dark red core to their tail.
-Male ZVTF have yellow markings around the dark red core
-Female ZVTF have orange or bright red around the dark red core
-ZVTF often have 'tipped fins' like TATF do
-There is no evidence of CVTF being sexually dimorphic
-CVTF will NORMALLY have red tails, but orange or yellow is possible.
Are there any other ATF that are sexually dimorphic?

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
This was actually a sticky for the better part of five months, I actually just unstuck it last night in an effort to clean up the mess of stickies in this section lol
Thats it, I thought something was missing but couldnt put my finger on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store