Building our business

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
DIY fish food

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1 way more cheaper, you can control the ingredients and more practical.
I'd say breed some earthworms for a start... They don't demand a lot.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Thanks for the Spencer Jack tip actually never even crossed our minds to check wit him. We do grow earth worms she is thinking of expanding her setup. It gets tough to keep up with 4000 fish sometimes not all adults but all ages.

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
4000 fish, well... err... that's a lot. I see now why you guys need bulk fish food. Maybe also grow some duckweed, it can be processed to a cheap, renewable, infinite fish food. I heard reports that in some fish farming industries duckweed are used for fishfood, not to mention aquaponics as well.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I'd avoid raising bloodworms unless you can guarantee they're to remain in a completely sealed culturing vessel. Bloodworms are larvae of the midge fly. It would be unnerving having mosquito looking midge flies loose all over the place.

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
I would invest I'n crickets ,mealworms ,blood worms,brine shrimp,feeders etc and breed them
Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I think crickets should be dropped, they're demanding... cultured Cockroaches can be a better alternative... Also they're more prolific than crickets. But as Oddball said below it should be contained in a enclosed container, if not it may cause invasion in your ecosystem and also in your house.

I'd avoid raising bloodworms unless you can guarantee they're to remain in a completely sealed culturing vessel. Bloodworms are larvae of the midge fly. It would be unnerving having mosquito looking midge flies loose all over the place.
+1 they can slip out and thrive in other water bodies...

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
it depends how unnerving the OP would find it, it could be a good thing as then they will breed in all bodies of water, providing food.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
If raising duckweed you can also culture amphipods (Gammarus) shrimp. These little side-swimmers are prolific dentrivores that will consume anything missed by your fish and provide free food for small to large fish.
Being in Canada, you'd have an easy time culturing daphnia.These cool weather shrimp will provide food for fry to small adult fish species. Hatchery supply companies sell grading sieves so you can separate newly hatced shrimp for fry from adult shrimp for larger fish.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
it depends how unnerving the OP would find it, it could be a good thing as then they will breed in all bodies of water, providing food.
Really ought to think before posting. With nearly 100 tanks to feed, growing enough bloodworms while maintaining a rotational crop would mean having to bear upwards of a 100,000 adult flies buzzing around the fish room. Even if they are non-biting, having swarms of these flys buzzing in your ears, flying into your eyes, and flying into every inhaled breath would render a person insane.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I think culturing blackworms, trout worms,nightcrawlers and brine shrimp might be an easier alternative. Also I've had problems with my fish getting intestinal parasites and infections when feed bloodworms regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store