Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
eh., wouldn't seem to match up with the rising percentages of autism.
Friends of mine have fraternal twins- one with it, and the other without... same prenatal conditions.
I personally think its a cumulative effect. Someone I knew whose kid displays classic autistic behavior was diagnosed as suffering from heavy metal(read mercury) poisoning. During pregnancy, his mother thought it was good to eat fish, so she ate a lot of salmon, like more than four or five meals a week for a few month.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
There are many different theories and there is a lot of research most of which is inconclusive to the cause of autism. For the longest time doctors where looking into over vaccinating then they were looking at the thimerosal in the older vaccines which is a mercury based compound used as a preservative in vaccines. Some say its hereditary, environmental, and exposure to chemicals. The list goes on and on. I hope that there is an answer some day it is a very scary thing to think about while starting a family. Being in the health field I have seen children on different spectrums of autism and it varies greatly. My wife is a special Ed teacher and I've been in a her classroom. All kids on different spectrums. I actually set up a fish tank in their class With some parrots. It brings the kids great joy. I am no expert but just wanted to add some information to the topic.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
Politics and origins aside, the autistic kids I've worked with are some of the best kids out there! Such sweet little things! Open hearts and open arms. Sometimes, I think people could learn a lesson there. :) The one I spend all my time with, "Kiddo," has Isodicentric (sp?) 15 - which is similar to autism but not the same thing. Who knows where these things come from and why...Meanwhile, I'm going to thank God for the blessing that is Kiddo. :D

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Just saw the trailer for Old Boy...Looks interesting and I'll be going to see it when it starts.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Just saw the trailer for Old Boy...Looks interesting and I'll be going to see it when it starts.
You referring to the original or spike lee remake?

You should watch the original. Though there is a lot of praise it got, I hope the hype doesn't kill it for you. Just go into it with an open mind

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Not sure,which one it is...whichever one is being shown in theaters.I'm still scratching my head at Spike Lee's involvement as this seems totally out if his realm of film making.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Well the original is a korean movie so if you saw a bunch of korean actors that's the original.

Most likely you saw the remake trailer. The guy in the latest men in black movie is supposed to play the lead role. The guy that played the younger version of will smith's partner

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That would be Josh Brolin,he was good in No Country for Old Men...check it out if you haven't yet....I never heard of Old Boy until one of you mentioned it in a thread a few days ago and this is definitely the remake.It looks bizarre but interesting lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store