DIY Fluidized Sand Bed Filter?

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
Has anyone on here made one of these? i really wanna try one out for my 75g, any good threads or videos online?

Thanks!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I made this one from plans on FAMA magazine, issue was from sometime in the 90s, if I find it I'll post the date.
Originally it had a closed top, but I found the closed/under pressure type was not needed.
Even with a check valve, during a power outage the sand has a tendency to back siphon, and I found it easier to do maintenance on without a cover.

The one in my pic is about 4 ft tall, and 8" in diameter, beside biological filtration, aragonite sand was used to help buffer alkalinity.
I've seen DIY versions made from 2 liter plastic coke bottles.

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
I made this one from plans on FAMA magazine, issue was from sometime in the 90s, if I find it I'll post the date.
Originally it had a closed top, but I found the closed/under pressure type was not needed.
Even with a check valve, during a power outage the sand has a tendency to back siphon, and I found it easier to do maintenance on without a cover.

The one in my pic is about 4 ft tall, and 8" in diameter, beside biological filtration, aragonite sand was used to help buffer alkalinity.
wow thats big! did you notice a big change in water parameters when cycled? was the water cleaner? do you have any detailed designs? also is the diy ones mad from a 2 liter plastic coke bottle be enough for a 75g?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
These filters are not mechanical, and do not clean the water in a visual sense. They are biological, the sand is a substrate for beneficial bacteria, and the movement (fluidation) of media, in theory, sloughs off older non vibrant bacteria leaving room for more robust individuals. In essence a fluidized bed replaces bio balls or other such stuff.
I actually thought of mine, as a fluidized reactor as opposed to a filter.
I noticed when testing, that my alkalinity didn't fall as far between water changes, and when it did start to fall, I would know to add more aragonite to replace the sand that had dissolved from the acid produced by the fishes constant urination.
I used an average of 5 LBs of aragonite as media, and ran the influent line at a rate of 500 gph to get enough movement for the weight and mass.

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
These filters are not mechanical, and do not clean the water in a visual sense. They are biological, the sand is a substrate for beneficial bacteria, and the movement (fluidation) of media, in theory, sloughs off older non vibrant bacteria leaving room for more robust individuals. In essence a fluidized bed replaces bio balls or other such stuff.
I actually thought of mine, as a fluidized reactor as opposed to a filter.
I noticed when testing, that my alkalinity didn't fall as far between water changes, and when it did start to fall, I would know to add more aragonite to replace the sand that had dissolved from the acid produced by the fishes constant urination.
I used an average of 5 LBs of aragonite as media, and ran the influent line at a rate of 500 gph to get enough movement for the weight and mass.
So how do you prefilter before water enters?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I use filter socks (bags) in sumps as mechanical filtration. Because I have multiple tanks on a single sump I find socks to be most efficient, and the easiest to clean, rinsing them our about once per week. And I don't prefilter before the FB, there is just a line from simp to FB, one of the filter socks in the pic below is after (hanging on the efluent) of the FB

In a more conventional sump below

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
I use filter socks (bags) in sumps as mechanical filtration. Because I have multiple tanks on a single sump I find socks to be most efficient, and the easiest to clean, rinsing them our about once per week. And I don't prefilter before the FB, there is just a line from simp to FB, one of the filter socks in the pic below is after (hanging on the efluent) of the FB

In a more conventional sump below
Ive never used filter socks before, i was wondering if you had like a back up plan like if the sock gets clogged and overflows, how would you stop that?

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts

What type of sand do you use? play sand, PFS?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
If the sock overflows, it overflows into my sump,(same as when a hang on the back when clogged flows into a tank) and is no big deal.
But if they are rinsed regularly this doesn't happen. I usually have 2 socks for each outflow pipe (one on the pipe, and one already cleaned), and switch them out .
Some people put them in a washing machine without soap, some soak the sock in bleach overnight.
I have found the bleaching does a great job, you just need to rinse and soak the sock again in water with a dechlorinator.
I use aragonite sand, it is fine crushed coral, normally used as substrate in marine tanks.
It tends to turn the water a bit milky when new and first put in.

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
If the sock overflows, it overflows into my sump,(same as when a hang on the back when clogged flows into a tank) and is no big deal.
But if they are rinsed regularly this doesn't happen. I usually have 2 socks for each outflow pipe (one on the pipe, and one already cleaned), and switch them out .
Some people put them in a washing machine without soap, some soak the sock in bleach overnight.
I have found the bleaching does a great job, you just need to rinse and soak the sock again in water with a dechlorinator.
I use aragonite sand, it is fine crushed coral, normally used as substrate in marine tanks.
It tends to turn the water a bit milky when new and first put in.
do you think regular playsand or PFS would work also? since i dont want to increase the PH in my tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store