Red Terror or Green Terror

Murrayt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2014
California
Thought I should start a new thread for this.

Here's my situation. I have a Female Festae and a Male Green Terror in a community tank. Both Cichlid's get along fine with all fish in the aquarium... except each other. Both are approximately 7" in a 135 Gallon Aquarium.

Tank mates will be:
Flagtail Prochilodus
Ornate Bichir
and I am debating over an Oscar or something else like a Datnoid (whatever will work).

Which one would you choose to keep and why? Keep in mind this is for long term in a 135 Gallon.

Thanks in advance for the help!

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
GT cause I just bought a new one :p

No seriously, I love the head shape of aequidens species, the colour is superb, and they are quite personable. Guess I'm biased as I haven't kept a festae

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If you are getting a datnoid or oscar, go for the green terror. The red terror has some nasty teeth on them that would easily destroy the oscar or same size datnoid.

Ive found that my female festae is a little more skittish than my male GT.

Murrayt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2014
California
If you are getting a datnoid or oscar, go for the green terror. The red terror has some nasty teeth on them that would easily destroy the oscar or same size datnoid.

Ive found that my female festae is a little more skittish than my male GT.
What do you keep your Female Festae with and in what tank size?

superman818

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2007
Los Angeles
A Green Terror is easily a better choice to mix with others. Red Terrors have a much more aggressive demeanor. The Festae I've had don't like Datnoids . I think it's a strips thing. I currently have a big headed male Green Terror and he gets alone with everything. Now I'm not just telling you this cause I'm trying to buy your Festae. lol

Murrayt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2014
California
A Green Terror is easily a better choice to mix with others. Red Terrors have a much more aggressive demeanor. The Festae I've had don't like Datnoids . I think it's a strips thing. I currently have a big headed male Green Terror and he gets alone with everything. Now I'm not just telling you this cause I'm trying to buy your Festae. lol

Hahaha! Well either way I do appreciate your input. Obviously, I am trying to weigh out what I truly want in my aquarium as I currently only have one tank and realistically, I won't be getting many more anytime soon. I got this Festae and 2 others essentially as fry on my Birthday last May and am very grateful the sole survivor is a female. I know that I could create peace within the 135 gallon with her in it, but establishing a stock that I could create with confidence of it working is the hardship.

I will make a decision within the next day or so and get back to you for the sale! In the meantime, I would just like to consider all options.

Does a Female Festae reach such an aggressive stage that she will kill Oddball/Misc Fish? For instance, would I need to be concerned about the Ornate Bichir or Flagtail Prochilodus getting beaten?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
My female festae didnt like the male festae and loiseillei. She pretty much ignore the other cichlids and silver dollars. Once the male GT got close to her size, she hated him as well. She didnt kill any fish. This is all in a 8 foot tank.

Werewolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2017
Thought I should start a new thread for this.

Here's my situation. I have a Female Festae and a Male Green Terror in a community tank. Both Cichlid's get along fine with all fish in the aquarium... except each other. Both are approximately 7" in a 135 Gallon Aquarium.

Tank mates will be:
Flagtail Prochilodus
Ornate Bichir
and I am debating over an Oscar or something else like a Datnoid (whatever will work).

Which one would you choose to keep and why? Keep in mind this is for long term in a 135 Gallon.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I'm John c. I have a female red terror cichlid I'm breeding her with my male red tiger Montaguense cichlid. There's cichlids that pick on the red terror cichlid like the Midas cichlid, convict cichlids, red devil cichlid, purple rosequeen cichlids, and flowerhorn cichlids. But when these babies come they won't start fights they will be more like underdogs but if anyone with these red devil cichlids and Midas cichlids think their cichlid will mess with the bay cichlids I will have got it wrong underestimate them and the red devil cichlids and Midas cichlids will regret it.

Werewolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2017
Hahaha! Well either way I do appreciate your input. Obviously, I am trying to weigh out what I truly want in my aquarium as I currently only have one tank and realistically, I won't be getting many more anytime soon. I got this Festae and 2 others essentially as fry on my Birthday last May and am very grateful the sole survivor is a female. I know that I could create peace within the 135 gallon with her in it, but establishing a stock that I could create with confidence of it working is the hardship.

I will make a decision within the next day or so and get back to you for the sale! In the meantime, I would just like to consider all options.

Does a Female Festae reach such an aggressive stage that she will kill Oddball/Misc Fish? For instance, would I need to be concerned about the Ornate Bichir or Flagtail Prochilodus getting beaten?
I'm John. As for me I'm breeding my female red terror cichlid with my male red tiger Montaguense cichlid.

Werewolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2017
I'm John c. I'm breeding my female red terror cichlid with my male red tiger Montaguense.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store