Channa Andrao

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England
Does anyone have any experience or any tips with this species?

A friend had to part with his tank and it came with it :)

Haven't had a fish tank for a while looking forward to getting back into it all.

I have just set the tank up and waiting for the sediment from a new substrate to settle before aquascaping it,

The tank is around 50 litres and I'm told this is a dwarf snakehead and this tank will be perfect for him on his own? If not I'll have to upgrade at some point, he's around the size of my little finger at present.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
They are a dwarf but will still grow to bit over 10cm-12cm long. 50l is a good starter tank but you'll want double that for a single adult. Footprint matters more then depth , something around 80cm x30cm would my recommendation as a minimum tank size.

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England
They are a dwarf but will still grow to bit over 10cm-12cm long. 50l is a good starter tank but you'll want double that for a single adult. Footprint matters more then depth , something around 80cm x30cm would my recommendation as a minimum tank size.
thanks for the reply, what temps do they require, a caresheet that originally came with the fish says 25c with a ph of around 7.5. Is this correct? As I'm aware most dwarf species require lower temps than tropical fish.

thanks

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
No that's incorrect, I see you found the answers already in my reply to another thread so I won't go into my usual rant lol

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England
No that's incorrect, I see you found the answers already in my reply to another thread so I won't go into my usual rant lol
I see you follow the seasons, so in the winter what are your tank temps? And what are they in the summer?

Want it to get as much info on these as possible to insure the best coloration and livelihood

Brucki

Gambusia
MFK Member
wintertemp 15 to 18°C , Summer up to 28°C
unheated tank, best situated near a north window that cab be opened to get down the temperatures.
I had mine in the kitchen, wifey didnt want to go out to smoke in winter, so the window was half open very often. Water is heated by the tank lighting.

Brucki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Slighlty acidic PH results in better colouration

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Brucki covered it , i try to stay below 25 in the summer. But get the occasionally day that bumps up higher heatwaves.

In the winters I go down to 15-16 in the day and a degree or 2 colder at night.

Mine are in the basement unheated room so temps just follow the seasons . The tank lights give the day/night fluctuations.

I also agree lower ph is bette. Last time I tested my tanks the ph sits ~6-6.4 , and loaded with tannins from wood and leaf litter.

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England
My current temp is at 22, I have turned the heater off completely and the temp is dropping :) it should drop to around 16 hopefully is this enough? I'll get a temp reading in an hour or so.

there is no bog wood in there yet, this would help yes? Will probably go out and buy some at some point tomorrow along with some surface plants

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store