Darters?

Saugeye86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2015
Denver, CO
So in moving my QT into Rubbermaid containers, and now I have an empty 55gal!! I was wondering how many Darters would be acceptable in that size tank? Also can I keep all different types of darters together? I don't see why I couldn't!! I'm starting to like these fish more and more, everytime I see them!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Darters are great, tied for my favorite type of fish. You could have about 14-16 (2-4") darters in a tank that size if you only want darters, I'd recommend 8-12 darters and 2-3 schools of shiners or dace though. What species were you interested in?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Before you collect them, make sure its legal to take them home. Identify them first before take them home because many darter species are threatened or protected. Logperch should be good candidate for that setting.

Saugeye86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2015
Denver, CO
I plan on ordering them from jonahsaquarium!!
Banded
Greenside
Rainbow
Variegate
Johnny
Fantail
That is what's in stock!! They are all really beautiful fish, amazing colors!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Those are all great darters. Be sure to give them frozen foods as a staple diet with occasional love treats. I'd never try to get darters on mainly dry, most won't eat it and those that do aren't as healthy as they would be on frozen. If you're going to do all darters with nothing else then try to incorporate some ledges and structure along the sides of the tank as darters being negatively buoyant will simply waste the 20" of height unless there's something they can rest on on the way up the sides of the tank.

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
Those are all great darters. Be sure to give them frozen foods as a staple diet with occasional love treats. I'd never try to get darters on mainly dry, most won't eat it and those that do aren't as healthy as they would be on frozen. If you're going to do all darters with nothing else then try to incorporate some ledges and structure along the sides of the tank as darters being negatively buoyant will simply waste the 20" of height unless there's something they can rest on on the way up the sides of the tank.

Good advice on feeding and good point on the darters staying on the bottom.

I will add that if you go with the Percina genus of darters they tend to stay off the bottom a lot of the time. I am currently keeping two Percina (logperch and blackside darter). They are like sunfish swimming up and down the glass and begging for food. Love their personality.

Check out zimmermansfish.com, btdarters.com, and aquaculturestore.com for darters also.

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
Yeah, that sounds about right for a really big one. More commonly 4-5" with a really small mouth (safe community fish). I have mine in a 33 gallon long with stonecats, SRBD, blackstripe topminnows, and blackside darters. They all get along very well.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
5-6" logperch is more common here and you can catch them on a hook.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store