How to get an Asian Arowana permit in the US?

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
I've been trying to look into this and I have found few results.
If you go to this site...
http://www.fws.gov/permits/faqs/faqb.html
Under "Bonytongue" it says "click here to view a fact sheet that outlines the purposes for which an ESA license may be issued," BUT when you click the link all it says is "this page cannot be found." There is also an application sheet, but obviously I need to know whether or not I am eligible first. Can anyone help me?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I've been trying to look into this and I have found few results.
If you go to this site...
http://www.fws.gov/permits/faqs/faqb.html
Under "Bonytongue" it says "click here to view a fact sheet that outlines the purposes for which an ESA license may be issued," BUT when you click the link all it says is "this page cannot be found." There is also an application sheet, but obviously I need to know whether or not I am eligible first. Can anyone help me?
I would have to imagine there is a reason you can't get a permit seeing as they are banned. permits are generally for restricted species for private ownership/professional displays such as aquariums.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Asian arowanas are illegal in the US. You can't get a permit.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You can apply for a permit to keep Asian. And, they'll gladly accept your application fee. However, to date, NO hobbyist has ever been approved for a permit to keep Asian aros in the US or its territories. The permit is only approved for public aquaria and bona fide research institutions after approval of the research plan and inspection of the holding facilities.

Reactions: Jesseliu13

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
You can apply for a permit to keep Asian. And, they'll gladly accept your application fee. However, to date, NO hobbyist has ever been approved for a permit to keep Asian aros in the US or its territories. The permit is only approved for public aquaria and bona fide research institutions after approval of the research plan and inspection of the holding facilities.
The reason I'm asking is because I had read on another thread that some Asian families get permits to display Asian arowana at their family business. Well, I come from an immigrant family and my father was interested in having an Asian arowana on display in his shop/restaurant. Does anybody know if this is possible? I've heard this practice isn't as uncommon as it would seem.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It's not going to happen, you will not be able to get a permit. I suggest you pursue another type of arowana or perhaps a different species all together. If you see an Asian arowana in a display tank in China town they are not legal fish, the authorities may not go out of their way to hunt them down but they are illegal none the less.

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
It's not going to happen, you will not be able to get a permit. I suggest you pursue another type of arowana or perhaps a different species all together. If you see an Asian arowana in a display tank in China town they are not legal fish, the authorities may not go out of their way to hunt them down but they are illegal none the less.
That's disappointing to hear. I suppose he can always just get a Jardini, most people won't know the difference.
And maybe before the end of his life Asian Aros will be legalized and he can own one just like he used to way back when

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I hope so. I hated giving my 2 up when the ban began. I tried getting a permit for grandfathered specimens bought legally before the ban. The state's response was to send an agent out to inspect my tanks and confiscate the asian aros I had for 7 years legally.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
We can only hope they will be legal again one day. I would love to have one but not enough to go to jail over a fish.

Jardini or Leichardti are as close as you'll come in the US. You can always look for a platinum jardini that's something you don't see everyday.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I hope so. I hated giving my 2 up when the ban began. I tried getting a permit for grandfathered specimens bought legally before the ban. The state's response was to send an agent out to inspect my tanks and confiscate the asian aros I had for 7 years legally.
This happened locally to a guy with a red snakehead, totally ridiculous.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store