Eartheaters and Severums

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
neutrino neutrino Perfect! So, given enough space, there shouldn't be a need to worry. Now my next question would be does it matter if the tank is longer than it is tall for them....because I certainly have enough gallon space for them, but the tank itself is far taller than it is long.
Height is good for severums but footprint is the main thing, territory and swimming area, both important, are primarily about footprint, meaning length and width. Height won't make up for not enough real estate with the fish you're talking about. Tank size is a contentious subject, a lot of people have rigid opinions when in truth there is some flexibility. Still, while I don't know what size you have in mind, there aren't many scenarios where you'd want less than 4 ft. length for a severum with geos.

Bianca Luna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
Bahamas
Height is good for severums but footprint is the main thing, territory and swimming area, both important, are primarily about footprint, meaning length and width. Height won't make up for not enough real estate with the fish you're talking about. Tank size is a contentious subject, a lot of people have rigid opinions when in truth there is some flexibility. Still, while I don't know what size you have in mind, there aren't many scenarios where you'd want less than 4 ft. length for a severum with geos.
Ok, I took some rough measurements recently and the tank is about 6ft long and about 3ft wide, so this should be enough to safely keep just a few Severum with the Geos right?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Ok, I took some rough measurements recently and the tank is about 6ft long and about 3ft wide, so this should be enough to safely keep just a few Severum with the Geos right?
6'x3' is a good size for sure. I wouldn't go overboard on the severum numbers, the males in particular end up being very large fish.

Reactions: Bianca Luna

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Based on my personal experience, also tanks I've seen, you should be in good shape. I've seen (in person) some really nice display tanks with severum groups and personally kept a group of 8 adult rotkeils in a 135 for a while, 6 ft x 18 inches. My tank included two breeding pairs and it was a peaceful tank. If you get on youtube and search "severum tank" or "severum community tank" you can find tanks with multiple severums, some with mixed species or types. Some are overstocked by my own standards-- still, it demonstrates that you can keep them in groups.

Reactions: Bianca Luna
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store