265 Gallon Marineland Reef Ready Build

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
We'll soon be taking delivery of a 265 Marineland Reef Ready tank, stand, and glass lids in next week or two. In the meantime , we've purchased some equipment in preparation for setting the tank up. The tank dimensions are 84" L x 24" W x 30" H. Obviously being "Reef Ready", the tank will have the built in overflows and I'll be using a sump to filter the aquarium.

Tank inhabitants will include:
a group of Metynnis fasciatus (Striped Silver Dollars)
a breeding pair of Hypselecara temporalis (Chocolate Cichlids)
a Hoplarchus psittacus (True Parrot Cichlid)
a group of Geophagus sp. "Red Head Tapajos"

Tank equipment will include:
Heaters - (2) 300 watt JBJ True Temp Titanium Heating System
Pump - Waveline DC12000
Sump - Trigger Systems Emerald 39

Substrate - Fairmount Santrol AquaQuartz Pool Filter Sand

Driftwood - Combination of Malaysian & Manzanita

Here's a pic of one of the heaters and controller system. Also pictured are 6 schedule 80 unions and 5 Cepex ST true double union ball valves.

Heater Unions & True Union Ball Valves.jpg

Here's a pic of the Waveline DC12000 pump. The pump will be submerged inside the sump.

Waveline DC120000 Pump.jpg

Here's a close up pic of the pump's controller. I'm excited to be able to use the 30 minute "Feed" button when feeding the fish (keeping most of the food out of the overflows, and ultimately the sump).

Waveline Controller.jpg

Here's a pic of the sump. It's originally designed to be used as a "saltwater" aquarium sump, but it will work perfectly for our set up. It has (3) 4" filter sock section. After that area, I'm going to be adding some Poret foam to the first large chamber, followed by numerous mesh bags filled with Pond Matrix. The heaters will go in the middle section, while the pump will sit in the last section.

Trigger Systems Emerald 39 Sump.jpg

Here's a different angle of the sump showing the filter sock area. The sump is 39" L x 16" W x 15" H. The total water volume of the sump is 40 gallons. The weir on the last section is adjustable, but I'll probably just keep it at its highest point so I can have as much water in the sump as possible.

Emerald 39 Sump.jpg

Reactions: bbortko and DN328

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Congrats on the tank. That sump is nice. Real clean looking.

How do you like the fasciatus? I had a group a while ago and absolutely hated them lol garbage cans with fins.

Interested in seeing the plumbing. I like following build threads, learn allot from them.

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
Congrats on the tank. That sump is nice. Real clean looking.

How do you like the fasciatus? I had a group a while ago and absolutely hated them lol garbage cans with fins.

Interested in seeing the plumbing. I like following build threads, learn allot from them.
Thanks, jaws7777.

The one really positive thing about the fasciatus is they are NOT Myleus schomburgkii. We ended up getting schomburgkii instead of what were labeled on the stock list as thin bar silver dollars from Cichlid Exchange. The group of 6 schomburgkii chased each other constantly and didn't look comfortable in our aquarium at all. It was not uncommon to see silvery scales floating about the tank after one specimen chased the other. Fortunately for us, our LFS took them back and ended up ordering us the fasciatus as a replacement. The fasciatus are a little skittish right now, but I'd contribute that more to the grow out tank they are in right now than anything else. They should settle down much more once they get into the 7 foot long, 30" tall 265.

I think they will work out well for us with the way we are stocking the new tank. They should provide good dither for the cichlids inhabiting the lower portions of the aquarium.

I'll definitely post pics of the plumbing during and following the completion of the build.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
They are my favorite looking sd but i couldnt get food to any of the cichlids i haf to constantly over feed.

How are you setting up the drains ?

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
They are my favorite looking sd but i couldnt get food to any of the cichlids i haf to constantly over feed.

How are you setting up the drains ?
Oh, I can definitely believe that! They are little chow hounds and WAY fast when hitting the food. I do about 70-75% water changes weekly on all our tanks, so overfeeding shouldn't be a problem. Currently, we overfeed our 300 gallon Deep Dimension tank because there are about 2 dozen cories in there and the water parameters stay in check.

I'm just setting up the drains factory Durso style. I know it's not necessarily the best and most quiet way to do it, but it's what I'm used to with the 300 and I've fine tuned that tank with double union ball valves to make it less noisy.

DN328

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Following along for the build. In my experience you'll want to keep the power supply for the waveline from being covered just to keep it cooler. Not that you planned to put a blanket over it or anything...LOL. It does get warm set at the fourth stage.

Nice sump too. You may want to add lids to slow down evaporation. Even with lids I had to fill every 3-4 days as I like to keep pump water level constant. Ended up going with an ATO.

Take more pix.

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
Following along for the build. In my experience you'll want to keep the power supply for the waveline from being covered just to keep it cooler. Not that you planned to put a blanket over it or anything...LOL. It does get warm set at the fourth stage.

Nice sump too. You may want to add lids to slow down evaporation. Even with lids I had to fill every 3-4 days as I like to keep pump water level constant. Ended up going with an ATO.

Take more pix.
Thanks for the tip on the Waveline power supply. I'm contemplating mounting the power supply to the inside of the tank stand to give it a nice, clean look and to help protect it from water spills.

Good point on adding lids to the sump. I'll definitely make one for that first chamber right away and then I'll do some measuring and cutting for the second one once I get the pump installed on the last section.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store