eeltail and salmon tail with oscars?

cturner1

Feeder Fish
May 13, 2016
so I've recently acquired a 200 gallon tank and obviously I'm thinking about what fish i should add. since i live in australia, elated catfish and salmon tail catfish are pretty common and available at most fish stores near me. I'm interested in getting a couple oscars, but i would also like to add a couple juvenile salmon tail and an eel tail catfish. before you say it, i do know how large the salmon tail and eel tail are able to get, but i am not planning on the tank being their permanent home. I have a pond that is about 20k gallons and i only have one 2ft salmon tail. I've read through many forums about mixing them and I'm getting mixed results, with some people saying they would be fine together but other people saying that since they have soft skin oscars wouldn't mix well with them. has anyone had any experience with mixing the three. If i was to do so i would have many hiding spots and buy them while they are all only a couple inches.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
so I've recently acquired a 200 gallon tank and obviously I'm thinking about what fish i should add. since i live in australia, elated catfish and salmon tail catfish are pretty common and available at most fish stores near me. I'm interested in getting a couple oscars, but i would also like to add a couple juvenile salmon tail and an eel tail catfish. before you say it, i do know how large the salmon tail and eel tail are able to get, but i am not planning on the tank being their permanent home. I have a pond that is about 20k gallons and i only have one 2ft salmon tail. I've read through many forums about mixing them and I'm getting mixed results, with some people saying they would be fine together but other people saying that since they have soft skin oscars wouldn't mix well with them. has anyone had any experience with mixing the three. If i was to do so i would have many hiding spots and buy them while they are all only a couple inches.
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter
wednesday13 wednesday13

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome to the MFK!

I fear you won't get much firsthand help as Australian fish are rarely kept outside of Australia.

In theory, I don't see much of a problem combining oscars with these catfish but any such unnatural community is a gamble with too many variables at hand.

I don't think any catfish has a soft skin. Their hide is actually pretty tough because they have no scales to protect their skin. In particular marine catfish Ariidae's skin I know is very tough as I catch them here and have to cut them up. One needs a nice sharp knife to do it with any ease.

Moreover, IIRC salmontail is a genus with species which vary in max size quite a bit. Same with eeltails. Temperament may differ too as well as biology and diet. Perhaps it is not easy to advise lumping them all together.

A amiidae

Reactions: tlindsey

turtles

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
Eel tail cats (Tandanus Tandanus?) should be fine in my experience very very placid and minds there own they just need a good hiding place IMO to retreat to if a problem arises salmon tails are similar from my experience but do get larger and "can" be slightly aggressive from my experience but do well with fish they can't eat but both catfish should do well together I kept mine together and never had a issue

Reactions: cturner1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store