my red pike

calibigrob

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2012
Worldwide
Always loved the color on your Pike. Matter of fact it was one of the pikes that got me into Crenicichla. How big are they? Tankmates?
Yea pikes are cool ,my male use be azzhole but guess ovee years relax more

Think male at max like 14in n other maybe 7-8in .tank mates 27in arowana ,couple bichir, 14in dovii,16in wolf n 9in wolf, 14in goby ,
And secret fish lol Tank 200, thinking about giving arowana away

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
those red pikes are unreal. are they naturally occurring?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Yea pikes are cool ,my male use be azzhole but guess ovee years relax more

Think male at max like 14in n other maybe 7-8in .tank mates 27in arowana ,couple bichir, 14in dovii,16in wolf n 9in wolf, 14in goby ,
And secret fish lol Tank 200, thinking about giving arowana away
I've heard that some pikes mellow with age. I guess they're hell bent on hormones till they reach maturity.

That's a heck of a comm. you've got going. I'm surprised the Dovii and Goby don't cause havoc once in awhile. Must make for an impressive display.

those red pikes are unreal. are they naturally occurring?
I know it wasn't directed at me but I figured since calibigrob didn't get back to the thread yet, I'd answer so you get a response sooner. Yes the pikes are naturally occurring. As a matter of fact few and I do mean few pikes have been bred in captivity. So never mind hybrids or the like with these guys since many are finding it impossible to breed them when their mates are the same species.

The big red one is I believe an Atabapo pike and they've been available quite often this year. Monster Aquarium Inc had them and might still. Snookn21 has them listed on his site and Aquabid and Wes/ Rare Fish on here is selling I believe a group of 8-10" inch for $300. So he'd probably give you a good deal on one. Things to be aware of are they are susceptible to HITH and males tend to be the brighter colored of the sexes.

Reactions: calibigrob and ehh

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I've heard that some pikes mellow with age. I guess they're hell bent on hormones till they reach maturity.

That's a heck of a comm. you've got going. I'm surprised the Dovii and Goby don't cause havoc once in awhile. Must make for an impressive display.

I know it wasn't directed at me but I figured since calibigrob didn't get back to the thread yet, I'd answer so you get a response sooner. Yes the pikes are naturally occurring. As a matter of fact few and I do mean few pikes have been bred in captivity. So never mind hybrids or the like with these guys since many are finding it impossible to breed them when their mates are the same species.

The big red one is I believe an Atabapo pike and they've been available quite often this year. Monster Aquarium Inc had them and might still. Snookn21 has them listed on his site and Aquabid and Wes/ Rare Fish on here is selling I believe a group of 8-10" inch for $300. So he'd probably give you a good deal on one. Things to be aware of are they are susceptible to HITH and males tend to be the brighter colored of the sexes.
Ah ok. Thanks. The red is just so deep. Thought I'd ask.
I had a belly crawler for a while and read that breeding pike cichlids can be a challenge.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Ah ok. Thanks. The red is just so deep. Thought I'd ask.
I had a belly crawler for a while and read that breeding pike cichlids can be a challenge.
No problem, I know what you mean; the red on them can really be intense. I had bought a Tapajos 1 since I had heard they where the redder pike between them and the Atababpo. Unfortunately the T1 wound up being more of a burnt orange color. While I have no experience with Atabapo every vid of them IMo makes them actually look to be the reddest.

Reactions: calibigrob

calibigrob

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2012
Worldwide
My boy has this one in $150 ,in cali he can ship also Ray his name if anybody interest i hook u up with him

FB_IMG_1465609076058.jpg

calibigrob

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2012
Worldwide

Yea my guy had hith bad one time ,it was sad from fighting with bass I cure it

PicsArt_1432687317434.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store