MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
After 17 years my rhom has passed away. I bought him the summer of my high school graduation with my twin brother and together we have kept him over all these years. It is hard to imagine getting very emotional over a fish, but anytime you spend such a long time taking of a pet it is hard not to. He really had an amazing personality and I will miss him. I am undecided of whether I will be exiting this hobby or taking a dive another fish as he was the only fish I kept for the last 12 years since I sold off all the other piranhas before graduating college. Next I need to figure out what to do with him. He is currently in my freezer and I think I will bury him at my parents where his first home was. I can't bare to put him in the garbage.

Here is the final pic I took of him measured and a link to the thread outlining the story of all the moves I put the guy through.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/meet-shaka.537737/

View attachment 1188209
I'm not sure if I should like it because it's a nice fish or not like it because Shaka died.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
If I stay in the hobby my choices would be manueli (just sold one a couple months back to prevent stress to Shaka because it was a divided tank), piraya or aimara. If I get another fish I will be trying to keep them for 20+ like this guy.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I saw this done to a marlin when I was in Mexico years ago. A alternative to having the fish mounted. What they did was paint the fish with colors that looked natural. In your case you could use silver glitter paint for the body, black for the fins, gold for the head, red for the eye. You get the picture. After painting one side of it, with the paint still wet you stick a piece of paper on the fish transfering the paint into the paper. You now have a really accurate painting of your fish. I thought it was a neat idea, never tried it myself. I think the fish should be thawed out for best results. Good luck, and good job keeping a fish for so long.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Aw man. That sucks. 17 years is a long time. Good for you, man. I'm sure he had a good life.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
If I stay in the hobby my choices would be manueli (just sold one a couple months back to prevent stress to Shaka because it was a divided tank), piraya or aimara. If I get another fish I will be trying to keep them for 20+ like this guy.
Maybe something a little less... ugly...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store