What should I feed my Salvini cichlid fry

John Tindall

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2016
Buckeye lake ohio
I separated the male from the female in the fry.. I believe he was eating the baby's.. any tips or suggestions on caring for these littie guys and girls.
Going to grow them out for my lfs

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I hatch out artemia (brine shrimp) for when the fry are free swimming, takes about 24 hours per batch, and mix pulverized flake, thawed peas, and pellets in with the moving shrimp, and shoot the mixture into the school of fry with a pipette or turkey baster. I believe this helps to associate the crumbs with the moving targets fry are attracted to..
I also let as much algae grow in fry tanks as possible.

a shrimp hatchery, although there are many ways to hatch them, just google.

I usually have 2 hatcheries going for each new batch of fry, started a day apart

John Tindall

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2016
Buckeye lake ohio
I hatch out artemia (brine shrimp) for when the fry are free swimming, takes about 24 hours per batch, and mix pulverized flake, thawed peas, and pellets in with the moving shrimp, and shoot the mixture into the school of fry with a pipette or turkey baster. I believe this helps to associate the crumbs with the moving targets fry are attracted to..
I also let as much algae grow in fry tanks as possible.

a shrimp hatchery, although there are many ways to hatch them, just google.

I usually have 2 hatcheries going for each new batch of fry, started a day apart

Since there all most free swiming is it fine to leave them in with just there mom

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I leave fry with the mother until they are about an inch, or if/until they start to cannibalize her. If they are not provided enough food, this can easily occur. I usually separate them by size in a number of algae filled aquariums. Culling out any obvious deformities as soon as they are noticed also helps to reduce numbers of sub par fry which can take up space, and resources.
Lots of small feedings per day, and plenty of algae to graze on also helps.
Below is a male haitiensus whose fry started feeding upon him.
Although he would occasionally shake them off, he was never aggressive toward them, and they ate a gaping hole in his side, so I removed him.

below grammodes fry grazing on algae.

Reactions: John Tindall

vinod_uthaiah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
India , Bangalore
I leave fry with the mother until they are about an inch, or if/until they start to cannibalize her. If they are not provided enough food, this can easily occur. I usually separate them by size in a number of algae filled aquariums. Culling out any obvious deformities as soon as they are noticed also helps to reduce numbers of sub par fry which can take up space, and resources.
Lots of small feedings per day, and plenty of algae to graze on also helps.
Below is a male haitiensus whose fry started feeding upon him.
Although he would occasionally shake them off, he was never aggressive toward them, and they ate a gaping hole in his side, so I removed him.

below grammodes fry grazing on algae.
Yes , i agree with this statement of " wait till about an inch" , i think i lost my Dovii Fry to the mom because of not feeding at regular intervals....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store