Notoglanidium macrostoma and Parauchenoglanis guttatus

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
So does anyone have info on these species as far as I know both stay under 12in., but I have heard that other species in the Parauchenoglanis grow upwards of 20in. However I was wondering how common are P. guttatus compaired to the other species. Also what is care like for the two aforementioned species (N. macrostoma and P. guttatus), I assume fairly simple?
any info is appreciated

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
I have no experience with notogladinium species but have kept 4 species of parauchenoglanis-p.balayi, p. macrotoma, p. ngamensis and p. guttatus. It seems that p. guttatus do stay small, around 8". I have 5 of 'em I received in February @ 1 1/2" and now are around 3" so kind of slow growing, very nocturnal, almost never see 'em. Easily fed on flakes, pellets and frozen cubes of brine shrimp & black worms. I should mention that among parauchenoglanis and including notoglanidium they can be hard to I.D. as juveniles as they are so similar. P. balayi probably stay smaller, lost mine after a year or so @ 4". P macrostoma and p. ngamensis grow much larger and faster, to around 18" after 2 years or more. Some of my fish can be seen @ PlanetCatfish in the Cat-eLog under claroteidae-parauchenoglanis. These species seem to do well in slightly lower PH like 6.5 and water temps around 74 degrees. Notoglanidium sp. seem to be more common and usually cheaper as a rule, parauchenoglanis sp. are rarely imported and would be considered rare or almost never available, depending on species...

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
I have no experience with notogladinium species but have kept 4 species of parauchenoglanis-p.balayi, p. macrotoma, p. ngamensis and p. guttatus. It seems that p. guttatus do stay small, around 8". I have 5 of 'em I received in February @ 1 1/2" and now are around 3" so kind of slow growing, very nocturnal, almost never see 'em. Easily fed on flakes, pellets and frozen cubes of brine shrimp & black worms. I should mention that among parauchenoglanis and including notoglanidium they can be hard to I.D. as juveniles as they are so similar. P. balayi probably stay smaller, lost mine after a year or so @ 4". P macrostoma and p. ngamensis grow much larger and faster, to around 18" after 2 years or more. Some of my fish can be seen @ PlanetCatfish in the Cat-eLog under claroteidae-parauchenoglanis. These species seem to do well in slightly lower PH like 6.5 and water temps around 74 degrees. Notoglanidium sp. seem to be more common and usually cheaper as a rule, parauchenoglanis sp. are rarely imported and would be considered rare or almost never available, depending on species...
thank you very much for all the info
But however Wetspot has N. macrostoma and supposidly P. guttatus according to the stock list
I look at their pictures and PC's Cat-elog to try and get an ID
I will also put them here to make 100% sure

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
Sadly I couldn't find a pic of the 'P. guttatus' they have for sale, but it is still on the stock list
but here are the N. macrostoma they have
p928223307-4.jpg
p902289089-4.jpg
then these are some pics from PC
8.jpg 2.jpg
I would say they are N. macrostoma

Reactions: moe214

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Yeah I would say n. macrostoma too. BTW I got my p. guttatus from them also. No pic's other than from the acclimation bucket the day they showed up. The fish is tiny in the photo so not a lot of distinguishing characteristics @ 1 1/2". What glimpses I've seen of them since shows their tail to be covered in many tiny spots, similar to photos I've seen of larger one's…
P2182197.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store