6 inches Asian arowana not feeding

munchie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2015
My House
I think your arowana is fine. if its taking food and spit it back out. It'll eventually chew and swallow the food trust me. its just being picky as hell right now and probably still adjusting to the new tank.

DN328

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
As said, dont apply meds if your not sure if there's anything wrong. Your tank parameters are good so keep it up.

I've never owned an Asian Aro, but I can't imagine a 6" turning away bloodworms, so give that a shot. In the long term, I think pellets are best as a staple. When training, I always start with a few pellets to start. Then follow by something I know they like such as bloodworms, mealworms and/or small crickets.

Be patient and eventually it should take the pellets and not spit out.

Chaos32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2006
Singapore / Malaysia
A little early to pellet train since it could involve starvation for a long time due to stubbornness of the aro. Best wait till a little bigger. There is no need to panic and resort to all kinds of food and meds. You already know the aro will take shrimp etc. As the others have pointed out, be patient. Perhaps some external factors could have caused it to go off food but under normal circumstances it should regain its appetite eventually. Do not turn off the filer system.

Reactions: Chandan

DN328

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Pellet training doesn't always mean starving is involved. Never too early either. As mentioned, just serve pellet first followed by other suggested food that it'll eat.

Chaos32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2006
Singapore / Malaysia
Pellet training doesn't always mean starving is involved. Never too early either. As mentioned, just serve pellet first followed by other suggested food that it'll eat"

I agree pellet training does not necessarily involve starvation. My concern is the Aro has gone off food rather than the type of food being the issue. In all my years of experience with Aros, young fish are usually very eager with most food but pellets don't come naturally usually. Hopefully the thread starter's fish starts eating soon and success with pellet training

Chandan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2016
Bangalore, India
As said, dont apply meds if your not sure if there's anything wrong. Your tank parameters are good so keep it up.

I've never owned an Asian Aro, but I can't imagine a 6" turning away bloodworms, so give that a shot. In the long term, I think pellets are best as a staple. When training, I always start with a few pellets to start. Then follow by something I know they like such as bloodworms, mealworms and/or small crickets.

Be patient and eventually it should take the pellets and not spit out.
My fish is doing well
Thanks all for the concern and helping me out to solve my fish problm
BTW i m not a starter to this hobby..I have kept fishes like discus in past which i was successful in breeding too and here i was not starving him to take pellets but my fish had dropsy hence it was not feeding . Now it is been treated for and is healthy :)
Ty again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store