Shimming tank problem

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I got my 75 setup with 100lbs of sand, around 20 lbs of driftwood and filled it up and the water level is about a quarter inch difference from each side length wise, I spent 20 min banging shims in on the high side and it doesn't seem to be doing much, the shims are thick enough and I have them spread out slowly banging each one to try to distribute the weight, so how majorly important is a perfectly level tank and should I just keep shimming until the whole shim is under the tank?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
You will need to drain it to shim it. It sounds like you are pounding the shims in when the tank is full? That will never move vertically enough with the weight of the water. Cheap doors shims work great for leveling tanks. Always try to level the stand as much as possible. It may be possible that you are running the length of the floor boards as well. That can make things hard as well because of the wood sagging.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Ty, its on carpet and under carpet is concrete so maybe the carpet is sagging a bit, I'll drain as much as possible and re shim. Looking at the tank now it's a lot closer to level now that the waters settled down but I still give it a try

Reactions: JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Ty, its on carpet and under carpet is concrete so maybe the carpet is sagging a bit, I'll drain as much as possible and re shim. Looking at the tank now it's a lot closer to level now that the waters settled down but I still give it a try
If you need a frame of reference (my opinion only) 1/4" is fine and nothing to be concerned about for that size tank. Assuming your stand is adequate that would have zero performance impacts on your tank. My tanks are in the garage with a very sloped floor. Mine end up a bit off as well but less than a 1/2". I use metal of three different thicknesses cut to 2" strips. All of my stands are steel though.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I got my 75 setup with 100lbs of sand, around 20 lbs of driftwood and filled it up and the water level is about a quarter inch difference from each side length wise, I spent 20 min banging shims in on the high side and it doesn't seem to be doing much, the shims are thick enough and I have them spread out slowly banging each one to try to distribute the weight, so how majorly important is a perfectly level tank and should I just keep shimming until the whole shim is under the tank?
You just need a Level. Drain the tan and the Level will tell you when it is flush.
If you need a frame of reference (my opinion only) 1/4" is fine and nothing to be concerned about for that size tank. Assuming your stand is adequate that would have zero performance impacts on your tank. My tanks are in the garage with a very sloped floor. Mine end up a bit off as well but less than a 1/2". I use metal of three different thicknesses cut to 2" strips. All of my stands are steel though.
how level does a 125g w/ a vynil coated wood stand have to be??

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
You just need a Level. Drain the tan and the Level will tell you when it is flush.
how level does a 125g w/ a vynil coated wood stand have to be??
Always go for as level as possible but for a 125 with a wood stand it should be within a 1/2" (water level side to side)

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Drain halfway just enough so you can slowly lift it an inch high while u have your gf shove multiple pieces of cardboard until it levels out.....lmao.....thats what we do hahah

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store