Channel cat in 75?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I have a 75 setup and I plan on getting 1 senegal bichir 1 peacock eel and 1 zig zag eel, I was gonna get a small school of clown loaches and just trade then out when they got big but my LFS had 2 roughly 6 inch channel cats. I do a lot of fishing and channels are what I love catching so could I have 1-2 channels in my tank and have them be okay with the bichir and eels? And how long before I have to get rid of them?

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Your eels would become dinner almost immediately, and the channel cats would outgrow the 75 in a matter of months. They really aren't suited for aquariums.

Reactions: Frank Castle

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Yea didn't think so, thanks tho, a little off topic but what size heater should I run in a 75? I was thinking 300w

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I would consider that overkill. A single 150w heater would be fine, or you could go with two 100w heaters just to have a backup.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Yea didn't think so, thanks tho, a little off topic but what size heater should I run in a 75? I was thinking 300w
200w, depending on the brand. Different brands have different ratings.....I saw two 3oo watts today rated up to 80g and 100g and a 3rd rated up to 265g. Weird but I got the Eheim rated to 265g.

Channel cat growth rate is about 20" per year based on a water temperature of 78-80F,..... at 73F it slows to about 12" per year. Food intake and quality is also a factor. A 75g wouldn't work very long.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
200w, depending on the brand. Different brands have different ratings.....I saw two 3oo watts today rated up to 80g and 100g and a 3rd rated up to 265g. Weird but I got the Eheim rated to 265g.
Tank size ratings on aquarium supplies don't mean very much and shouldn't be relied upon. They don't use any standard set of criteria, so they're really pretty arbitrary. That being said, there's a pretty wide margin for error when it comes to aquarium heaters. 2 watts per gallon is enough to keep a steady temperature up to 5-10 degrees above the ambient temperature, in my experience. Beyond that, higher wattage just means more stability, but after a certain point, you're just throwing money away (like people who think that they need 4-5 watts per gallon just to bring their temp. up to 80 degrees when their room temperature is already above 70).

The most important thing with heaters is to buy a brand that is reliable and has a solid reputation. A poorly designed or poorly built heater can explode and release toxins, killing everything in the tank pretty quickly.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Tank size ratings on aquarium supplies don't mean very much and shouldn't be relied upon. They don't use any standard set of criteria, so they're really pretty arbitrary. That being said, there's a pretty wide margin for error when it comes to aquarium heaters. 2 watts per gallon is enough to keep a steady temperature up to 5-10 degrees above the ambient temperature, in my experience. Beyond that, higher wattage just means more stability, but after a certain point, you're just throwing money away (like people who think that they need 4-5 watts per gallon just to bring their temp. up to 80 degrees when their room temperature is already above 70).

The most important thing with heaters is to buy a brand that is reliable and has a solid reputation. A poorly designed or poorly built heater can explode and release toxins, killing everything in the tank pretty quickly.
Yea I lost all faith in Marineland.......went w/ the Eheim - you know anything about them?

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Yea I lost all faith in Marineland.......went w/ the Eheim - you know anything about them?
I don't think I've ever used an Eheim. The only brands I've bought in the past 6 years or so are Hydor, Cobalt, and Aquatop. I haven't had to replace any of them. The only brands I've personally had issues with are Marineland and Aqueon. One just stopped working, and the other got water trapped inside of it. Neither of them lasted more than a year.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I don't think I've ever used an Eheim. The only brands I've bought in the past 6 years or so are Hydor, Cobalt, and Aquatop. I haven't had to replace any of them. The only brands I've personally had issues with are Marineland and Aqueon. One just stopped working, and the other got water trapped inside of it. Neither of them lasted more than a year.
funny you mention that, cuz the Marineland I just returned had water in it, and I have 2 or 3 Aqueons that have that issue......and I already sent 2 or 3 back to the manufacturer

Reactions: jclyde13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store