6 Adult Oscars in a 100 Gallon Tank

Vibsee

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
India
Has anyone ever actually seen an adult Oscar kill another adult Oscar? Or is it just something that is passed around in conversations?
Just got something locally made that resembles the python siphon.. worked well.. did an 80% water change.. will check the nitrates in a while..

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Has anyone ever actually seen an adult Oscar kill another adult Oscar? Or is it just something that is passed around in conversations?
Just got something locally made that resembles the python siphon.. worked well.. did an 80% water change.. will check the nitrates in a while..
If you mean direct murder, it's far more likely that stress from constant attack weakens the targeted fish' immunity, which then allows disease to take hold and kill the fish along with possibly the others.

Lepisosteus

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yes...I have seen this, I have done this, you do not want this

Reactions: Frank Castle

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
This one's easy. Explain to your missus/girlfriend in a very gingerly fashion that you've had a bit of grief off the boys at MFK fot keeping 6 oscars in an 100g tank. When she says, "oh my word what are we to do?" Thats when you tell her with a beaming smile on your face "i think we should upgrade and get a 300g tank love!!!" You're a winner, the oscars are winners, get the missus/girlfriend some flowers (if you can afford them after your upgrade!!). Easy see, we're here to help. Haha.

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
Oscars get stessed quite easily. So easily it will likely die from the stress due to being picked on before significant damage is even done. It's like they give up on life. I've had many oscars die before for various stress related reasons.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
your oscars are 10 inch now, they will double in weight by the time they hit 12 inch, which means double the bio load and double the water changes. Also 3 oscars are a bad number, go for a pair or 5+, as your tank is only 100 gal that limits you to a pair, even then I think your over stocked

Bandit87

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
This one's easy. Explain to your missus/girlfriend in a very gingerly fashion that you've had a bit of grief off the boys at MFK fot keeping 6 oscars in an 100g tank. When she says, "oh my word what are we to do?" Thats when you tell her with a beaming smile on your face "i think we should upgrade and get a 300g tank love!!!" You're a winner, the oscars are winners, get the missus/girlfriend some flowers (if you can afford them after your upgrade!!). Easy see, we're here to help. Haha.
*IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO.*

Reactions: Vibsee

Vibsee

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
India
hahahaha... well the custom made tanks are not very expensive here.. its the bent (moulded) ones that cost a lot.. about US $350-400 for a 100 gallon.. Now I would have definitely bought a 300 gallon custom made tank with the flowers et al.. but the BIG problem is that I live in a high rise apartment.. so buying and keeping a tank that size would mean enough weight for my floor to cave in and send my tank to the house below.. because a 300 gall would, I believe weigh about 1400 kilos.. counting the tank, water, decorations and table weight. NOT HAPPENING.. but I'm off to buy the flowers anyway..

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I personally haven't, but my dad had a 135g with two oscars sometime before I was born, and according to him and my mom, one of them "tore the other's face off."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store