6 Adult Oscars in a 100 Gallon Tank

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
hahahaha... well the custom made tanks are not very expensive here.. its the bent (moulded) ones that cost a lot.. about US $350-400 for a 100 gallon.. Now I would have definitely bought a 300 gallon custom made tank with the flowers et al.. but the BIG problem is that I live in a high rise apartment.. so buying and keeping a tank that size would mean enough weight for my floor to cave in and send my tank to the house below.. because a 300 gall would, I believe weigh about 1400 kilos.. counting the tank, water, decorations and table weight. NOT HAPPENING.. but I'm off to buy the flowers anyway..
what country do you hail from?

Vibsee

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
India
hmm.. My 4 inch parrots face was ripped and shredded by a 7 inch oscar.. badly mauled.. my 6 inch Lutino was badly hurt by another 6 inch Lutino.. but he didn't go on to kill him.. It was an intense 1 day fight..

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
As others stated, id go down the route of a breeding pair; if you go do two 100 gals with 3 Oscars in each, I'd strongly expect a pairing then subsequent bullying, killing of the third weakest.
This is what I expect as well. In fact, it would be lucky if the other fish aren't already dead before four months is up. Indeed, the pairing could occur now and place all 6 fish at risk from infection and a rapid spike in ammonia from a large dead fish left unattended in an overcrowded tank.

It's possible to do many things which are by their nature dangerous and inadvisable and to get lucky and to get away with it.

My thoughts would be to pick the pair you want and sell off or give away the other 4 now. Or if you won't or can't then consider segregating the 4 from the 2, preferably leaving the 4 in the 100 gallon and moving the pair two into a large temporary tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
At the end of the day, everyone has given their opinion but it's up to you what you do. In my opinion the best thing for the fish would be to keep a pair in each 100 gallon tank, it's just not fair on the fish cramming them all together. The two which haven't paired up will be constantly stressed from being chased by the two pairs. You should at least rehome those two and with some luck the two pairs will take a side of the tank each and you may be OK until you get another tank.

Reactions: Vibsee

Vibsee

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
India
At the end of the day, everyone has given their opinion but it's up to you what you do. In my opinion the best thing for the fish would be to keep a pair in each 100 gallon tank, it's just not fair on the fish cramming them all together. The two which haven't paired up will be constantly stressed from being chased by the two pairs. You should at least rehome those two and with some luck the two pairs will take a side of the tank each and you may be OK until you get another tank.
I completely agree with you.......... That is exactly what I am already trying to do.. Ive put up an ad in the classifieds for selling both the lutinos who I think are males.. though unfortunately they are the brightest and the best looking fish in the tank..

Vibsee

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
India
i agree its just not enough room.
Yes I am working on that... but these guys have been raised along with 100 other oscars ... in some of the pet store tanks here, they literally have close to a 100 baby oscars in a 55 gallon.. in many I have seen 25 adult oscars in a 75 gall.. for many months.. Wonder how they manage them for so long..
In fact one of the advice given to me by a sales guy was to keep the tank overstocked to curb the aggression.. so the fish dont pick out on any other fish in particular.. so I told him I'd do that if he gave me the replacements for the dead ones.. free of cost..
BTW I saw an adult Oscar without a lower jaw at one of the pet stores yesterday.. seems he was kept with a 9 inch butikoferri for about 40 mins...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store