Fw eel help

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I got a peacock eel about a week ago and I haven't seen or been able to get it to eat, it just kinda chills behind the intake for my filter, today I did a water change and it seemed to stress it out a bit and it came out and I noticed it was pretty damn skinny, I feed sinking shrimp pellets and bloodworms, iv seen her go up to the worms but she doesn't eat them, also my zig zag eel I got yesterday does the same thing except he's really active.

Only other stock is 5 pictus cats and a bichir

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would try live earthworms/blood worms at night. Has the fish been properly qt'd evaluated for internal parasites? Any meds will need special care with eels...just some thinking ahead.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I don't quarantine due to the fact I buy from family owed stores who quarantine, I wasn't sure if eels were night dwellers or not, so I'll see if bloodworms are gone in the morning I'll just make sure the lights have been off for a while before I feed so catfish hopefully won't get them, as for earthworms how many a week would I have to feed eat eel to keep them up and healthy, I can't really keep the worms so I'd have to buy as I feed. Also would it be best to try and hard feed the eels or just drop the worms in and hope they get them.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I don't quarantine due to the fact I buy from family owed stores who quarantine, I wasn't sure if eels were night dwellers or not, so I'll see if bloodworms are gone in the morning I'll just make sure the lights have been off for a while before I feed so catfish hopefully won't get them, as for earthworms how many a week would I have to feed eat eel to keep them up and healthy, I can't really keep the worms so I'd have to buy as I feed. Also would it be best to try and hard feed the eels or just drop the worms in and hope they get them.
Hand feed**

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I would get some pincers and leave near where the eel is hiding. Would avoid hand feeding. Seems to me more stress by hand feeding. Best of luck.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Just got home from work and checked to see if food was gone and it was, but she was laying sideways on the substrate skinny as can be, I thought she was dead, I really he'd in and she swam off like she was fine, come back a few later and she's laying sideways on driftwood, I'm gonna get up early in the morning and get some pinches and earthworms and hope she makes it.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Just got home from work and checked to see if food was gone and it was, but she was laying sideways on the substrate skinny as can be, I thought she was dead, I really he'd in and she swam off like she was fine, come back a few later and she's laying sideways on driftwood, I'm gonna get up early in the morning and get some pinches and earthworms and hope she makes it.
I reached my hand in** and she swam off.. (stupid auto correct)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store