Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
If I may, I would suggest you search a Herbie overflow. You may not like the noise generated by your Durso standpipe. Really easy to change too.
I haven't set it up yet so I will definitely google the Herbie overflow thanks for the input
Can you post a pic of yours ?

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
looking really good so far :)
Thanks bro I'm stoked
I'm going to get rid of some stock and add different ones so I can't wait to have everything going

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
I haven't set it up yet so I will definitely google the Herbie overflow thanks for the input
Can you post a pic of yours ?
I would if I had one from when I set it up but I was more concerned with getting the tank running at the time. I have a 125 with dual durso overflows that has been running over 2 years now, it works but it has a flow limit and is rather loud. I also have a 180 that's been running herbies for a few months now and I only get a slight noise of water trickling over the weirs. My air pump is louder.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I would if I had one from when I set it up but I was more concerned with getting the tank running at the time. I have a 125 with dual durso overflows that has been running over 2 years now, it works but it has a flow limit and is rather loud. I also have a 180 that's been running herbies for a few months now and I only get a slight noise of water trickling over the weirs. My air pump is louder

So there isn't a way to make the durso stand pipe noise tolerable ? I've heard people say it really helped with the noise and usually the only noise they hear is just the sump and pump
I'm going to have to try several methods until i get it all down since it's my first time with sump systems

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
If there is, I haven't been able to find it. Adjusted as much as I could but never did much for the noise
Did you drill a hole with a piece of airline tube ? I was told to do that I'm gnna have to see how it works lol

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
There she is, I got my black sand in
Tomorrow I will add some gravel on top of the sand and add my driftwood and plants and water. I am missing some dividers I ordered online from china for my sump so I will probably just run my canisters and ac110 on it meanwhile and fill it up below the overflow level

image.jpg

Reactions: DN328

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
There she is, I got my black sand in
Tomorrow I will add some gravel on top of the sand and add my driftwood and plants and water. I am missing some dividers I ordered online from china for my sump so I will probably just run my canisters and ac110 on it meanwhile and fill it up below the overflow level

View attachment 1220543
Nice, looks good.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
The herbie drain is definitely worth looking into. I run it on my 150. I used the original drain line for my main drain, and used the hole originally meant for the return as my emergency drain. Then I just ran a return line from the pump up the back of the tank. For a quick overview... Put your main drain several inches below the water level for a full siphon. The height of the emergency drain should be the height of the water level in the overflow. Use a valve on the main drain to regulate water height in overflow box.1223160643.jpg 1223160643a.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store