What's your oldest fish?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
If you have a large enough tank try a small group of them. They tend to be more social. I have a group of 6 in that tank
My 70 is too small for 6 of them, not to mention the general rarity of synos :(

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If you have a large enough tank try a small group of them. They tend to be more social. I have a group of 6 in that tank
This is debatable. IDK what causes the difference but some eupterus get along fine, others fight all the time. Maybe I have not seen enough cases yet to note a trend, but the smaller the tank, and the smaller the number of eupterus, the higher the chances of in-fighting. Like you said, 6 is a good number to dilute aggression to a manageable level.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
This is debatable. IDK what causes the difference but some eupterus get along fine, others fight all the time. Maybe I have not seen enough cases yet to note a trend, but the smaller the tank, and the smaller the number of eupterus, the higher the chances of in-fighting. Like you said, 6 is a good number to dilute aggression to a manageable level.
Very good point you make. They act almost like mbuna. Need enough to where there's no obvious pecking order or like you said they deff will show aggression. I have also had good luck mixing them with some other syno. I have had a few different tanks with mixed syno and the cohabitate fairly well. With the exception of angelicus. I have never had luck other then solo with them

Reactions: tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Very good point you make. They act almost like mbuna. Need enough to where there's no obvious pecking order or like you said they deff will show aggression. I have also had good luck mixing them with some other syno. I have had a few different tanks with mixed syno and the cohabitate fairly well. With the exception of angelicus. I have never had luck other then solo with them
I've had great many syno species, perhaps ~a dozen+, many multiple specimen, in 120 gal including a large angelicus and they have done well. 95% of these photos are from that 120 gal, including syno-only collection that starts mid page and goes on to page 2 https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30939&hilit=120+gal

Reactions: mattison187

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
We have a striped raphael catfish that is 16 years old. He's a solid 9" long and looks like a football. He comes right out of his cave to grab Northfin pellets with his tankmates. He's just a little bit smaller than the group of 10" winemilleri.
Awesome, my spotted Raphael is sixteen and I see him maybe once a year, just about the time I'm sure he is dead

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store