Midwest Custom Aquarium Pricing

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Hi guys and gals,

I posted last week in regards to where to find a stand for a 125 gallon aquarium which would be an upgrade from my 90 since I am moving and was initially going to just go for a glass tank. After a little bit of thought this weekend, I am really leaning toward the acrylic for the reasoning of it being lighter than glass since I will be moving again within the next 3 years and do not want to be getting people to help me move. With that said I am also thinking about up grading the size again since I know for certain dimensions acrylic may be cheaper. I would most likely buy from midwest since they seem to be a very reputable builder. Since they dont list their prices would anybody happen to know of the prices depending on the sizes of tanks?

What I am looking for:
125 gal - 72Wx18Dx20H
135 gal - 72Wx18Dx24H
150 gal - 72Wx24Dx20H
180 gal - 72Wx24Dx24H

Slim2634

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Central Ohio
It's not going to come close to the price of glass. Especially if you buy a 125 ensemble at Petsmart on sale. Keep in mind, the difference in weight for a 125 vs 180 is nearly double.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
It's not going to come close to the price of glass. Especially if you buy a 125 ensemble at Petsmart on sale. Keep in mind, the difference in weight for a 125 vs 180 is nearly double.
I looked at the petsmart one but hate the stand. I also was thinking about just going bigger right off the bat so I am not going to kick myself for not getting a bigger tank right off the bat. I understand the price difference is much greater than a glass tank.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Hi guys and gals,

I posted last week in regards to where to find a stand for a 125 gallon aquarium which would be an upgrade from my 90 since I am moving and was initially going to just go for a glass tank. After a little bit of thought this weekend, I am really leaning toward the acrylic for the reasoning of it being lighter than glass since I will be moving again within the next 3 years and do not want to be getting people to help me move. With that said I am also thinking about up grading the size again since I know for certain dimensions acrylic may be cheaper. I would most likely buy from midwest since they seem to be a very reputable builder. Since they dont list their prices would anybody happen to know of the prices depending on the sizes of tanks?

What I am looking for:
125 gal - 72Wx18Dx20H
135 gal - 72Wx18Dx24H
150 gal - 72Wx24Dx20H
180 gal - 72Wx24Dx24H
Better off calling chris amd getting a quote or just sending him an email. They are building a tank for me.

At the standard tank sizes glass would probably be cheaper. Acrylic was much cheaper than glass for tanks sizes iwas interested in and thicker. Acrylic at 3/4 inch was much cheaper than glass at 5/8 so to me acrylic was a no brainer.

Get quotes from chris on those sizes and thickness and compare to glass.

Reactions: jvc66

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Better off calling chris amd getting a quote or just sending him an email. They are building a tank for me.

At the standard tank sizes glass would probably be cheaper. Acrylic was much cheaper than glass for tanks sizes iwas interested in and thicker. Acrylic at 3/4 inch was much cheaper than glass at 5/8 so to me acrylic was a no brainer.

Get quotes from chris on those sizes and thickness and compare to glass.
Have been emailing back and forth with him. Some very reasonable prices I would say compared to others I have seen posted online. I feel most comfortable with him and the company with all of the reviews I have read.

Did you do any additional customization? Im leaning toward the 180 gallon (72x24x24) for the best bang for my buck.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Not much besides moving a couple of bulkheads. Also had a 3d backround sent to them to install from universal rocks.

If you can swing it (space wise) get a quote with 30 or 36 in width shouldnt be much more $$$. I went with 96x30x24
Have been emailing back and forth with him. Some very reasonable prices I would say compared to others I have seen posted online. I feel most comfortable with him and the company with all of the reviews I have read.

Did you do any additional customization? Im leaning toward the 180 gallon (72x24x24) for the best bang for my buck.

Reactions: FishBeast and jvc66

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Not much besides moving a couple of bulkheads. Also had a 3d backround sent to them to install from universal rocks.

If you can swing it (space wise) get a quote with 30 or 36 in width shouldnt be much more $$$. I went with 96x30x24
I am gunna start a filtration thread sometime today on the tank. Looking to use a synergy overflow so I dont have any pipes in the tank besides the output of the sump. Also want to put a bulkhead low in the tank with a strainer on it and use that for easy water changes?

Im pushing it in the current space with 24". Im putting the tank in my bedroom and going to do a large community tank. I keep wanting to do a monster tank like the size of your but that will be on my next move.

Reactions: FishBeast

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I am gunna start a filtration thread sometime today on the tank. Looking to use a synergy overflow so I dont have any pipes in the tank besides the output of the sump. Also want to put a bulkhead low in the tank with a strainer on it and use that for easy water changes?

Im pushing it in the current space with 24". Im putting the tank in my bedroom and going to do a large community tank. I keep wanting to do a monster tank like the size of your but that will be on my next move.
Definitely start a thread to get more opinions. I went with two internal overflows bulkheads at the bottom of each. Chris will do what ever you request

Reactions: FishBeast
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store