The king of cories

Bryan Crownover

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2017
Wisconsin
Anyone ever owned or bred a scleromystax barbatus? I've always loved cories and when I saw this fish for the first time, it didn't have a name in english with it so I had to hunt the web for a few days to find the name. Now that I know the rarity and have found places to obtain them I plan on getting at least 8 for their own tank and attempting breeding. Here is a pair of a male and a female that are unfortunately not mine. If you have any feel free to show them off and discuss what works best. scl_barbatus3.jpg

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I know CodOnMyRod CodOnMyRod is breeding them.. I have kept them in the past- keep them cool to be successful. nice fish

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
Cory, from Aquarium Co op, has some in the tank in his house and are actively laying eggs. I'm guessing some fry are making it now, since the tank is extremely heavily planted now.

Reactions: tlindsey

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
I'm a big cory collector and I've yet to see these guys till just now. If your looking to breed them I'd give them a tank to themselves. When sterbais were just started to get collected in the hobby and were $40 a piece I was breeding them. I put them in a 125 heavily planted with driftwood by themselves and got to the point where I had about 50-60 cories in there. It was actually a pretty entertaining tank and was able to see some nice schooling habits. After that I started giving them to my friends

Reactions: Bryan Crownover

Bryan Crownover

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2017
Wisconsin
I'm a big cory collector and I've yet to see these guys till just now. If your looking to breed them I'd give them a tank to themselves. When sterbais were just started to get collected in the hobby and were $40 a piece I was breeding them. I put them in a 125 heavily planted with driftwood by themselves and got to the point where I had about 50-60 cories in there. It was actually a pretty entertaining tank and was able to see some nice schooling habits. After that I started giving them to my friends
I was planning on a 55 or larger planted and species only to protect eggs. I really want to get into breeding for the challenge and reward and also to see if I can make a little bit of extra money to offset how expensive the hobby is lol.
If I help make a rare species more commonly available in the trade that'll be a great plus too.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Once upon a time, Shark Aquarium had fry . I was stupid and didn't buy them....

The King of Cories indeed!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store