Thorichthys pic thread

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
Yeah they grow to just over six inches.Having said that they should be looking nice at 4inches.
You don't see many wild livebearers in the shops over here in the UK.Just the normal line bred multi coloured crap.
As you said,best to get them from a trust worthy source so you know you have the real deal.
I have

never seen any kind of wild-type livebearer at an lfs. Would love to stumble across some...especially some Montezumae swords but until then, there's aquabid. :)

Reactions: cichlidfish

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I wonder how difficult it would be to have Belonesox belizanus with some thorichthys. I've seen it done. The challenge I see is they usually require live food and wonder if the thorichthys would out compete them for that food. Thorichthys really love to eat livebarer fry too.

IMG_3542.JPG

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I wonder how difficult it would be to have Belonesox belizanus with some thorichthys. I've seen it done. The challenge I see is they usually require live food and wonder if the thorichthys would out compete them for that food. Thorichthys really love to eat livebarer fry too.

View attachment 1245670
Once the pike top became used to the feeding regime I think it would hit the food faster than the thorichthys. They are a bit like hujeta gar,I feed mine by hand at the surface and the food is gone the second it touches the water.
I think they make an interesting and unusual tankmates for thorichthys.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Once the pike top became used to the feeding regime I think it would hit the food faster than the thorichthys. They are a bit like hujeta gar,I feed mine by hand at the surface and the food is gone the second it touches the water.
I think they make an interesting and unusual tankmates for thorichthys.
Thanks for the info. What type of foods did you offer? Do females really get as big as the one in the pic?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thanks for the info. What type of foods did you offer? Do females really get as big as the one in the pic?
Yes they can grow to 6 or 7 inch.
They do Well in very hard water and adults like a little salt, although not essential if water is hard.
My hujeta, which although a characin is a very simular pike type fish,and can also be hard to get eating none live foods.
Being surface feeders I dangle a prawn or Lance fish at the surface and gently wiggle it a little to mimic something live.The hujeta will strike at it then.
In the past with these difficult to feed type fish i have even thread cotton through the food and moved it along the surface to provoke a feeding response.
It can take a while to get fish like this to eat so you just have to persevere.
If all else fails you could try crickets or earth worms.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Update pics. I added my 5 pasionis, 1 mixteco blue and 2 robertsoni to the 150g. I moved the h. Deppii as I am worried they will get aggressive.
So far all the thorichthys hang out together with some chasing.

IMG_3682.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3694.JPG

IMG_3695.JPG

IMG_3698.JPG

IMG_3700.JPG

IMG_3702.JPG

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3719.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

IMG_3722.JPG