Black Piranha Information?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello, I have decided to get a black piranha for my 100 gallon tank, please provide details and information if you are experienced. Also what tank would be good for it's whole life, and how often should it be fed?

Its been over 30 years since I had a Black Piranha but most definitely one of the slowest growing species the 100 gallons will be good for a few years . A 180 gallon or larger for life. Tbh I fed live goldfish and Beef heart. Now that I know better I probably would raise one on chopped fish like Tilapia and offer pellets.
Also keep water pristine they can get HITH disease especially with high nitrates. I personally would get a juvie started eating then every other day.

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
Its been over 30 years since I had a Black Piranha but most definitely one of the slowest growing species the 100 gallons will be good for a few years . A 180 gallon or larger for life. Tbh I fed live goldfish and Beef heart. Now that I know better I probably would raise one on chopped fish like Tilapia and offer pellets.
Also keep water pristine they can get HITH disease especially with high nitrates. I personally would get a juvie started eating then every other day.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Good info.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store