Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Aquatank

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2017
california
aquatank134.wixsite.com
Guys in your opinion can we make a new breed of Oscars from selective breeding of them,
Guys let me know you ideas and I some are suitable then let's give it a try.

Is that legal to creat a new strain of cichlid at your fishroom or do you need some kind of permits

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
It's not illegal and you won't need permits in the U.S. I have no interest in line breeding or hybrids. Most oscars you buy at your LFS are already line bred for certain colors and patterns. Every possible combination of unnatural oscar has probably been achieved so good luck with that one.
Wild oscars look much better IMO.

JakeAlmighty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2016
Canada
what traits do you even want to try and fix into a new oscar strain?

tiger oscars are already created by man via linebreeding - red oscars were fixed from a random batch of wild oscars that had a lot of red in them to start with, then bred back to wild oscars to create the tiger oscar.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
What would be much more of an achievement, would be to raise a group of wild oscars with known catch location. Let them breed and pass on some quality oscars into the hobby.
We all see things differently but new stains never impress me.A natural wild strain Oscar, now that's something special.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Guys in your opinion can we make a new breed of Oscars from selective breeding of them,
Guys let me know you ideas and I some are suitable then let's give it a try.

Is that legal to creat a new strain of cichlid at your fishroom or do you need some kind of permits
In my opinion yes we can. I think it's a terrible idea, as far as I know it is legal but IMO should be discouraged. Oscars have already been dealt enough of a crappy card with all the line breeding that goes on with them. And would it kill people to check their spelling before posting something?

Aquatank

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2017
california
aquatank134.wixsite.com
No I didn't mean to offend you guys
But I was thinking if we could make a documentary how the wild ones will behave if they are breed with other colour Oscars in an alternate pattern
Like, wild one X wild one

F1 wild type X albino Oscar

F1 Albino tiger Oscar X red Oscar

And so on and then you can obtain some new evolved variation than the original geneline.
As I am a genetic engineering student I thought I would be great if this was possible because Oscars have fixed traits.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
No I didn't mean to offend you guys
But I was thinking if we could make a documentary how the wild ones will behave if they are breed with other colour Oscars in an alternate pattern
Like, wild one X wild one

F1 wild type X albino Oscar

F1 Albino tiger Oscar X red Oscar

And so on and then you can obtain some new evolved variation than the original geneline.
As I am a genetic engineering student I thought I would be great if this was possible because Oscars have fixed traits.
We're not offended, we just don't think it's a good idea. Post this in the hybrid section it would get more love.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store