Arowana sitting at bottom

ezio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2016
Hi all, I'm wondering why my 12-inch Banjar arowana sitting at bottom of the tank and not moving anywhere. Since last week she's giving some weird symptoms of stay bottom of the tank. Stay still at one particular corner of the tank not moving at all. My Arowana is eating.
I didn't change my Arowana to any new tank for the past 7 months. I've provided a big tank for my Arowana to swim it's a 4 feet tank. I do water changes every 3 weeks. I checked the water temperature, the water quality everything seems okay. I have no idea why it's not active. Can anyone help me to encounter the situation? Thank you

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
E ezio

your water parameters, the test kit you used (test strips are unreliable), the expiration date, temp, tank size, other fish. Etc etc.

Test your source water.

CHANGE the tank water EVERY WEEK at min.

Change the water right now.........!

Reactions: ezio

ezio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2016
Post your water parameters, the test kit you used (test strips are unreliable), the expiration date, temp, tank size, other fish. Etc etc.

Test your source water.

CHANGE the tank water EVERY WEEK at min.

Change the water right now.........
Just few hours back i changed the tank water.

ezio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2016
Did you read the rest of my post?

Post your water parameters, the test kit you used (test strips are unreliable), the expiration date, temp, tank size, other fish. Etc etc.
Yes i do. I'm checking on that now.
I have a Potamotrygon Motoro stingray with my arowana. But that doesn't give any trouble to it.
The tank size - 4 feet.
Temp level - 28 Celsius
Water Parameters - 6.0 pH

By the way expiration date of what?

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Yes i do. I'm checking on that now.
I have a Potamotrygon Motoro stingray with my arowana. But that doesn't give any trouble to it.
The tank size - 4 feet.
Temp level - 28 Celsius
Water Parameters - 6.0 pH

By the way expiration date of what?
Expiration of your test kit. What test kits are you using.

If you have a Sting Ray in there I'm going to bet your water parameters are off. Test strips are not a good indicator.

If you change the water every three weeks and you have a Sting Ray in the tank that is your problem. A 4 foot tank with the Sting Ray and one foot aro, I would say you need to change water every second or third day.

What filtration system are you using?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hey man,
a 4 foot tank is considered very small for an arowana and stingray. How wide is it? 4 feet can be anywhere from a 55 gallon (12" wide) to a 120 gallon (24" wide). Neither one would be a good long term home for an arowana, there is not enough swimming space and not enough water volume, so water will get dirty quickly. And one water change every three weeks is not an acceptable schedule for even a lightly stocked tank (yours is heavy) you should probably be doing two every week.
I would use a test kit to check, then post your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. I would also bet that your nitrates are high from the large fish. How long has the tank been set up? Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

Reactions: ezio and eddiegunks

ezio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2016
Hey man,
a 4 foot tank is considered very small for an arowana and stingray. How wide is it? 4 feet can be anywhere from a 55 gallon (12" wide) to a 120 gallon (24" wide). Neither one would be a good long term home for an arowana, there is not enough swimming space and not enough water volume, so water will get dirty quickly. And one water change every three weeks is not an acceptable schedule for even a lightly stocked tank (yours is heavy) you should probably be doing two every week.
I would use a test kit to check, then post your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. I would also bet that your nitrates are high from the large fish. How long has the tank been set up? Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
The tank size is 4 feet (4 x 2 x 2)
pH value is 7.. Ammonia is negative..
The temperature is 28 degree celcius..
I already changed the tank water 3 times in this week. Just in case to prevent from ammonia.. My arowana is so scared. It's just hitting the aquarium wall so hard. Should i change it to another small tank? Is it sign of stress?
The tank has been set up 7 months ago.. But i daily clean my arowana waste from the tank. Can you please explain about nitrogen cycle?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
First thing you want to do is get that aro and ray into a MUCH larger tank...like 300+ gallons. A 120 gallon tank is not nearly big enough for either of those fish. Here's the nitrogen cycle explained: fish produce ammonia(rays produce an unbelievable amount!) ammonia is deadly to your fish in any readable amount. Bacteria that lives on the surface of your biological media uses ammonia as food and converts it to nitrite...also deadly to your fish. Another type of bacteria converts the nitrite to nitrate which you remove manually by doing waterchanges. The key to successfully keeping healthy fish is to be able to house enough bacteria to safely convert the ammonia your fish produce into less harmful nitrates. In a small tank these harmful waste products build up fast and will kill your fish. There are really only 4 water parameters you should concern yourself with, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and water temperature. Ignore pH. Whatever your tap water is at is what you want your pH. Motoro rays get very large and produce a lot of ammonia. They should be housed in no less thsn 300 gallons. They need a footprint of no less than 6×3

ezio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2016
First thing you want to do is get that aro and ray into a MUCH larger tank...like 300+ gallons. A 120 gallon tank is not nearly big enough for either of those fish. Here's the nitrogen cycle explained: fish produce ammonia(rays produce an unbelievable amount!) ammonia is deadly to your fish in any readable amount. Bacteria that lives on the surface of your biological media uses ammonia as food and converts it to nitrite...also deadly to your fish. Another type of bacteria converts the nitrite to nitrate which you remove manually by doing waterchanges. The key to successfully keeping healthy fish is to be able to house enough bacteria to safely convert the ammonia your fish produce into less harmful nitrates. In a small tank these harmful waste products build up fast and will kill your fish. There are really only 4 water parameters you should concern yourself with, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and water temperature. Ignore pH. Whatever your tap water is at is what you want your pH. Motoro rays get very large and produce a lot of ammonia. They should be housed in no less thsn 300 gallons. They need a footprint of no less than 6×3
Thanks for the advice.. Now i understand what causes my arowana looks dull. I will convert them into a big aquarium.. Thank you so much..

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store