Air Stones???

rosyred81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2017
When is it necessary to put an Air Stone in your aquarium? As I've said I have a 10g aquarium w/ 3 rosy reds atm....I've read alot of ppl have air stones etc. I have a internal corner filter....the water pours from approx 1/2 to 1 in above the water level of the tank. Do I need an air stone?? I know very little about them overall. Thanks :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
When is it necessary to put an Air Stone in your aquarium? As I've said I have a 10g aquarium w/ 3 rosy reds atm....I've read alot of ppl have air stones etc. I have a internal corner filter....the water pours from approx 1/2 to 1 in above the water level of the tank. Do I need an air stone?? I know very little about them overall. Thanks :)

The airstone will aid in surface agitation which is very important helps in supplying oxygen.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Correct.

If you see the fish constantly hanging at the surface, rapidly breathing or making repeated trips to the surface, you might have low oxygen levels and need more water agitation.

Reactions: tlindsey

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
If you see the fish constantly hanging at the surface, rapidly breathing or making repeated trips to the surface, you might have low oxygen levels and need more water agitation.
The airstone does increase agitation, but it also creates a convection cell like movement in the tank that brings the water from the bottom up to the top allowing it to be oxygenated. Your corner filter may not do such a good job of that. Your corner filter probably makes enough agitation, most I have seen are good for that. An airstone would probavly be overkill in your case, unless I saw gasping or other weird behavior, I would not add one.
Just out of curiosity, Is your filter air powered?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
When considering the use of an airstone it's prudent to check the type of fish you keep. Pond and lake fish normally have lower DO (dissolved oxygen) requirements than riverine fish. If you keep fish normally found in rivers and streams, then their DO requirements would make the use of boosted aeration a smart idea.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
The airstone will aid in surface agitation which is very important helps in supplying oxygen.
When considering the use of an airstone it's prudent to check the type of fish you keep. Pond and lake fish normally have lower DO (dissolved oxygen) requirements than riverine fish. If you keep fish normally found in rivers and streams, then their DO requirements would make the use of boosted aeration a smart idea.
+1

rosyred81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2017
TY guys. I currently have 3 rosy red minnows. No going to surface. No gasping or our of ordinary breathing , nothing out of ordinary.

I have a internal corner power filter set on high atm for my 10 g. I've read that this filter is around 50 GPH gph, I'm assuming that's on low setting. I have it on highest setting...should I change it to lower?? in my case

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store