Farm boy nemurus, stuck at 1' for 4 years

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Some of you know the story of this catfish that began here https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36790&hilit=mystus

When I got it in 2009-2010, I was ignorant and didn't even know I was getting a Hemibagrus. I thought it was a Mystus.

It's been very easy to feed. A good tank mate, nothing of the wyckii or wyckioides kind. Grew from 2" to 1' in about 1.5-2 years and stopped completely there. It's been 4 years or so since it remained the same size. They are farmed in Asia and it looks like my farm boy (or girl) is a cull, failing to reach its supposed max size of 2'+.

It's very relaxed and likes swimming around day or night and checking everything out. Quite active, again in complete opposition to wyckii and wyckioides.

In the 7 years I've had it, I saw it eat a 3" koi once when they were in a 1500 gal pond. Never before nor after has it done it, although it could. In the same pond I saw it chase other fish from its spot (that was ~3 years ago) but the spot was small and the chasing was not vicious and everyone complied anyway. Funny enough, it has not done the chasing ever before or after, again. It ate the koi exactly the same time. I think it had an episode. Maybe a teenage meltdown that came and went.

It has been in a 4500 gal for a year or more now, a model, upstanding citizen, not a scratch on it but never fighting anyone else. The activity you will see here is typical. It also takes rests in the center on the bottom in between these rather energetic swimming laps.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's very easy even from tender age and size, as you can see from the photos in the link. It it's edible, it will take it. Mostly sooner, some later. It takes fish and pellets equally well.

The live koi was an exception, as described :) But if starved, it tells me it will likely prey on tank mates too.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Where'd you read of it reaching 2'? Never read of a specimen so large, or people saying it'll get that big. They probably confused it with wyckioides in which case they'd still be wrong due to a much larger max size

Reactions: Fishman Dave

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
lol I missed that, likely cause I stick to reading threads to see people's experiences. Makes sense though

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
I know this is an old thread. But found it interesting. In Aus we had a big influx of this species about 3-4 years ago, seemed like one big batch came in (hundreds of fish). I had a similar experience as you, fish grew relatively quickly to about 12" and stayed at that size until i sold it. Two close friends of mine still have one each. One is 12" the other 14", these fish are now 4 years old. Been this size for at least the last couple of years.

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
Viktor, off subject, but do have a FTS somewhere on the board? I'm always amazed at your videos, but would love to see the whole thing, if your open to that.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I know this is an old thread. But found it interesting. In Aus we had a big influx of this species about 3-4 years ago, seemed like one big batch came in (hundreds of fish). I had a similar experience as you, fish grew relatively quickly to about 12" and stayed at that size until i sold it. Two close friends of mine still have one each. One is 12" the other 14", these fish are now 4 years old. Been this size for at least the last couple of years.
I am fascinated by this consistency we have been seeing in max size. Thanks for the valuable input.

Viktor, off subject, but do have a FTS somewhere on the board? I'm always amazed at your videos, but would love to see the whole thing, if your open to that.
Some full tank shots here https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/post-your-fts-pics.375161/page-61#post-7762541 but to really get a good perspective, take a look at this video (even though it was made for a different reason but it shows the scope of the project)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store