120 Dither fish

Cichlids621

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2017
Not only "pet fish", every year Lake Gatin has a number of Peacock Bass jamborees (they are invasive here, and nearly brought many of the endemic populations dangerously low in the lake) and they make a great fish fry.
View attachment 1273447
But back on the subject, notice the normal size differential between same age male and female festae. Tells you something about how tough little females can hold their own against much large cichlids.

Wow that's very impressive thankyou for the visual!

Cichlids621

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2017
Female festae are really mean. IME, when they want to breed, they will "test" out potential mates, even other species. What I mean by "test" is that will put an arse whooping to see if the males are good enough. I had a 9" F1 female destroy a wild caught 12" oscar, who died a few days later, injury a same size male peacock bass to the point of swimming bladder issues, and shred a same size male GT. The only fish capable of holding their own against her is my female 12" Atabapo pike and a 12" male jag. They both have twice the mass of her, and she knows not to even mess with them. This was all in an 8 foot tank.
I realize now that there's not a great chance of it being successful but I'm going to try it monitor them closely and hope it works out. Thanks

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Just have a divider ready incase it goes south, if you haven't got a spare tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store