Explaination for Piranha Laws.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I don't know if Alaska prohibits them. And if they did, I don't know that they think that they are invasive. I know that you said they do. A law banning them could be passed for many reasons other than what you think.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/piranha-legality-across-the-usa.3118/

According to this 2005 post they were legal (then.) If I wanted one and I lived in Alaska, I'd ask the Food and Game or Interior Department for an answer before I tried to get one.

If I had one and I was moving into Alaska, I'd ask as well. Ignorance of the law might work with parents, but is no defense in a court of law.

Last edited:

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
I apologize, as the list I have provided I got off fishlore forum, and to be honest, I didn't bother double checking their sources.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I think the reason piranha are illegal is because people connect them with mobsters/torture etc. Even if this has no bearing on reality, many books/movies have done what they could to convince the general public that a piranha tank is the ultimate toy of the sadistic nut.
Here is another question.
Why in NY can I buy a bow or a crossbow with no paperwork while a gun would require paperwork? A 60lb bow can kill a man as easily as a gun.
Why was I able to buy a machete at 13 (when I first tried) but not a lighter until I was 18?
Even if you say they worry about arson, why are matches not restricted?
Drstrangelove Drstrangelove is right. Laws are based on the understanding of the people, not reality, or even any kind of organized philosophy.
This is a good thing, as noone has yet created an intelligent government that was just.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I like how everyone's discussing piranha and cichlids.. Why has nobody mentioned the fact that goldfish are legal?! If anything should be illegal its goldfish. They eat anything, breed easily and can tolerate some pretty extreme temperatures both up and down.. That to me sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.. There are plenty of examples of feral goldfish and koi all across the world, you would think the areas that don't have invasive goldies would make them illegal, but nope.

Living where I do I'm very restricted with what I can and can't keep. I've always wondered why I can't keep ANY freshwater shrimp but I'm allowed to keep as many goldfish as my little heart desires.. :eek:

Benno87

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2015
Australia
I like how everyone's discussing piranha and cichlids.. Why has nobody mentioned the fact that goldfish are legal?! If anything should be illegal its goldfish. They eat anything, breed easily and can tolerate some pretty extreme temperatures both up and down.. That to me sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.. There are plenty of examples of feral goldfish and koi all across the world, you would think the areas that don't have invasive goldies would make them illegal, but nope.

Living where I do I'm very restricted with what I can and can't keep. I've always wondered why I can't keep ANY freshwater shrimp but I'm allowed to keep as many goldfish as my little heart desires.. :eek:
This is what infuriates me about Australia. Can't get any American cichlids imported yet goldfish and koi which have found they're way into pretty much all of freshwater systems and are breeding prolifically are still imported by the tens of thousands every single week. Makes no sense.

Benno87

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2015
Australia

Would especially frustrate you tazzy fish keepers no doubt, knowing tropical species would struggle to survive you're summers let alone winter. But the goldfish(carp) continue to roll in.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
This is what infuriates me about Australia. Can't get any American cichlids imported yet goldfish and koi which have found they're way into pretty much all of freshwater systems and are breeding prolifically are still imported by the tens of thousands every single week. Makes no sense.
Irk? God forbid I'm allowed to keep something that can live in my 20ltr for life, thay would likely die in water under 18°c, but here you go, have a small but soon-to-be giant omnivore that can survive in just about anything..

As much as I love Australia, some of our laws are just plain stupid.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Would especially frustrate you tazzy fish keepers no doubt, knowing tropical species would struggle to survive you're summers let alone winter. But the goldfish(carp) continue to roll in.
You have no idea lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store