Cleaning thin sand layer

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I try to vacuum every other day.
Especially with Haitiensus, the extra heat they need in their tanks can encourage opportunistic and/or pathogenic bacteria to proliferate (the opportunists type that causes bloat) and... any kind of detritus laying around for any length of time, creates substrate where bacteria like columnaris can get a foothold.
Since with sand, the debris basically sits in plain view its only a 5 minute job to suck it up, and anytime you can remove old water is a good thing.
I try to place my influent current in a way to push the detritus to a very visible front corner, which makes it even easier to siphon the accumulation up.
Man I love this site!!!!! Lol. My next purchase is a powerhead. I have a Nasty dead spot on the right hand side of my tank. Are Haits ok with some additional flow?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In my haitiensus tanks, I always used a fairly strong flow, minimum 1200+ GPH pump in the sump flowing horisontally along the length of a 150 tank, for large adults.

The male was around 15" in the photo above.
He made the 150 gal, look tiny.

Reactions: Jhay3513

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
In my haitiensus tanks, I always used a fairly strong flow, minimum 1200+ GPH pump in the sump flowing horisontally along the length of a 150 tank, for large adults.

The male was around 15" in the photo above.
He made the 150 gal, look tiny.
Ok great. I was thinking about a Jebao adjustable flow pump so that I can increase the flow as they grow. Your pair was beautiful!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store