red bay snook cichlids...??

badgers034

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2006
chicago, IL
well, any more suggestions, tips,advice, past experiences, pictures, videos??? anything concerning red bay snooks will be appreciated

tenby2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2006
Essex UK
I have 3 red bay snook, 1 9" and 2 7" females. The male has taken a liking to one of the females and has often dug huge pits witha little help from the female. Eggs were laid the once but were eaten.
They share my 10'x2.5'x2' about 300gals, tank with 4 8-10" bocourti, pair synspilla male 7" female, 1 7" loisellei, 1 3"loisellei, pair 4" sals(who have bred a few times in the tank), 2 3" jds, pair H temporalis( Iknow they're S/A), 2 5" male V.regani, 4 5" clown loaches, 5 sds, a couple of large plecs and the fastest and least fussiest eaters 6 4"-6" spanner barbs.
I've had the snook about a 1.5 years, they were only about 3" when bought, and were very fussy eaters until I introduced the spanners who are very fast and eat just about anything, the snook soon caught on and became less fussy and a bit quicker.
The male is very fond of peas and about once a fortnight I chuck some in, boiled ones, he stuffs himself silly, no more could he fit in his huge mouth.
I'd love to get them their own tank and am sure they'll grow even quicker and probably breed, but not with this wife:swear: .
It may not sound it but my tank is fairly peaceful, the only real agro is the female syn chasing the smaller male syn no and again.

My avatar pic is about 2 months old.

Mark

slugguts

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2006
Washington
i just dropped 2 of those red bay snook into my 120 with some oscars actually. so far they are going great and don't have any problems with the oscars.

Tilapia-mariae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Perth, Australia
I looked into these, the only thing id be concerned about is the fact that if another fish wants to liplock with it.. Their mouths maybe amazingly large but infact are very soft.

I dont know about your JD's but when mine liplock they twist/flick - id think a snook would lose his jaw in a scenario like this.

D-Train

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Sh*t this thread is old as bawls

Zukobongolo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
Yeah, top that off with the fact that they have one of the largest mouths for CA cichlids and choosing tank mates can be challenging. They are like severums with HUGE mouths. Best tankmates are not too horribly aggressive cichlids, and deep bodied fish. Larger growing fish are a must. Keepin them with anything below 6" is a big risk. Awesome fish and I wish i had taken more pictures of Oddballs while i was there! lol
Yeah, top that off with the fact that they have one of the largest mouths for CA cichlids and choosing tank mates can be challenging. They are like severums with HUGE mouths. Best tankmates are not too horribly aggressive cichlids, and deep bodied fish. Larger growing fish are a must. Keepin them with anything below 6" is a big risk. Awesome fish and I wish i had taken more pictures of Oddballs while i was there! lol
So I should'nt try a bay snook with a umbriferum. The two cichlids are around the same size. I keep the umbee in a 190 gallon tank and I think the snook that I saw is a female and I think the umbee I have is a male. Would you risk it and see what happens or is that just a disaster.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
So I should'nt try a bay snook with a umbriferum. The two cichlids are around the same size. I keep the umbee in a 190 gallon tank and I think the snook that I saw is a female and I think the umbee I have is a male. Would you risk it and see what happens or is that just a disaster.

My friend, this is an 11 year old thread. The poster may not even be on this site anymore. You’ve seen the aggression umbee’s can have through others stories. If you still want to try To house other fish with it in the tank you have then try it. Just be aware you will probably lose the fish.

That way it it works you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
But in the world of SA/CA cichlids there is no garentees.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store