Mystery Fish Fry - time will tell

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
That does look like a tiny fry. It moves so strange, lol. But I'm only use to goldfish and gt fry.
What are all the possible options on what it could be? This will be very fun to follow as it grows.

FishEZ

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 16, 2017
Brampton, Ontario
www.fishez.ca
That does look like a tiny fry. It moves so strange, lol. But I'm only use to goldfish and gt fry.
What are all the possible options on what it could be? This will be very fun to follow as it grows.
I am not sure what a "gt" fry is. New to the nomenclature here. However, I think I mentioned in my post, but if not, I'll repeat, that in most all tanks in the fish room, I had just been on vacation and so males were in one tank and females in another. However, there was only one tank that had both males and females together and that was Myleus Schomburgkii also known as "wide bar silver dollars" or "blue hooks". So that is the only possibility in my opinion, but in another month we'll know. If it was like from a Rosy barb or something else that the filter might have been exposed to, the question then arises as to how long can an egg stay dormant before hatching late? Just for the record, I know about killifish, but besides the Schomburgkii I only have barbs: Filament, Tiger, Rosy, Snakeskin, Checkered, Odessa, etc. I have yet to read about someone successful with breeding Schomburgkii. I will post a new picture of the fry in question soon.

20170926_181030.jpg

Reactions: J. H.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Gt- green terror :)
You most likely did already say in your post. I was just looking for a listed summary to make it less confusing. Thank you for listing them again. It does seem like the best and only logical choice would be the silver dollars.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
It's a fish, that's for sure. As for the possibility of it being a Myleus - Tetras are egg scatterers so theoretically it could have been sucked into the filter media while the parents ate the rest of the fry. I still doubt that Myleus would spawn at that size and in a barebottom tank though, considering nobody has even got them to spawn at all so far.

FishEZ

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 16, 2017
Brampton, Ontario
www.fishez.ca
Here's an update on my little fry named Jesus. He is now 21 days old and looking like a real fish. Though he doesn't look like a tiger barb nor a rosy barb, he seems perky although he's never seen another fish. He's defintely not a filament barb as they come in striped at a young age.

FishEZ

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 16, 2017
Brampton, Ontario
www.fishez.ca
I still doubt that Myleus would spawn at that size and in a barebottom tank though, considering nobody has even got them to spawn at all so far.
Well, you make a very interesting statement. So I am even more anxious to know if it it is the Myleus Schomburgkii. Of all of the fry I've raised, this fish definitely is different than anything I've bred. So given another month or so, perhaps the mystery will be solved. He should start to take shape by then. At what age do you think these fish might be old enough to spawn? or at what size?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Interesting read... should be interesting to see what it turns out to be...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store