API General Cure

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Anyone experienced with this med?
Can it be used as a dewormer.. I'm not sure if my fish(flowerhorn cichlid) is sick but just trying to take preventative measures..
I transferred it to a hospital tank(10 gallons) from the main tank(120g) so I can medicate more efficiently..
The label says: For each 10 gallons (38 L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 48 hours. Wait another 48 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge.

Does that mean I use 2 packets in 2 days then change 25% water after 2 more days? Seems like a short duration and a lot of dosage in that 4-day period..
I did a search on this med and some people suggested using 1 packet for each 10g then do a large water change and repeat this process for 10 days..
So now I'm unsure which method to follow for best outcome..

Also, do I leave the filter running when dosing API General Cure?
And do I stop feeding completely during the medication period?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Can it be used as a dewormer.. I'm not sure if my fish(flowerhorn cichlid) is sick but just trying to take preventative measures..
I transferred it to a hospital tank(10 gallons) from the main tank(120g) so I can medicate more efficiently..
The label says: For each 10 gallons (38 L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 48 hours. Wait another 48 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge.

Does that mean I use 2 packets in 2 days then change 25% water after 2 more days? Seems like a short duration and a lot of dosage in that 4-day period..
I did a search on this med and some people suggested using 1 packet for each 10g then do a large water change and repeat this process for 10 days..
So now I'm unsure which method to follow for best outcome..

Also, do I leave the filter running when dosing API General Cure?
And do I stop feeding completely during the medication period?

kno4te kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would just follow the label directions. I’ve seen it dosed for 10 days but not sure if it’ll work.

Let me ask why not use metro/prazi soaked in Epsom salts for a dewormer? It’ll be a bit more specific and works better for cichlids if bloat is a concern.

Reactions: tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Dude, please read my comment to you regarding deworming in your last thread. This med only contains Prazi, which is only effective against flatworms/tapeworms, NOT nematodes. (roundworms) It's a good start, but you will still need to treat for nematodes with something like Levamisole.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
And yeah, just follow the directions on the label.

Reactions: kno4te

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
I like api general cure because it has both metronidazole and praziquantel, but I'm not sure about the dose it contains of each. But you'll need Levamisole HCI for deworming your flowerhorn. It's still good to try general cure though because it target different things.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Neil, I'm not sure where to find levamisole.. Even this GC which is supposedly readily available at all fish shop is hard to find but I managed to order it..
I did some search and read up on fish disease and GC seems to be the preferred choice of medication amongst fishkeepers..
Furthermore, I'm not even sure if my fish is sick to begin with.. At this point, I'm just being cautious..
If I can find levamisole then surely it will be great but for now I'll stick to what I can get..

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
What products have levamisole as its main ingredient?
While researching meds, I found that Jungle Anti Parasite Medicated Fish Food has levamisole in it.. Is it worth trying? Seems there's quite a lot of ingredients in it as well:
Active Ingredients Metronidazole, raziquantel, levamisole. Ingredients Soybean meal, sorghum distillers dried grain, sorghum distillers dried grain with soubles, ground grain sorghum, fish meal, fish oil, dicalcium phosphate, dl methionine, ascorbic acid, ethoxyquin, calcium carbonate, vitamin E, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, d calcium pantothenate, niacin, folic acid, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, biotin, choline chloride, vitamin D3, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, cobalt carbonate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, ferrous sulfate, sodium selenite, vitamin A, mineral oil, vitamin B12. Guaranteed Analysis Crude protein min 36%, crude fat min 7%, crude fiber max 6%, moisture max 10%, calcium min 1% max 1.8%, phosphorous min 1%, sodium min 0.15% max 0.3% Size 1 oz.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Would just follow the label directions. I’ve seen it dosed for 10 days but not sure if it’ll work.

Let me ask why not use metro/prazi soaked in Epsom salts for a dewormer? It’ll be a bit more specific and works better for cichlids if bloat is a concern.
Some people said if treatment not continue for 10 days then the parasite will turn immune to the medication and become superbug? How true is this?

Reason I did not use metro/prazi separately is cause I do not know where to get them..
I've done the epsom salt food treatment before as suggested by RD but he said I need a specific type of med for deworming which I couldn't get :(

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Some people said if treatment not continue for 10 days then the parasite will turn immune to the medication and become superbug? How true is this?

Reason I did not use metro/prazi separately is cause I do not know where to get them..
I've done the epsom salt food treatment before as suggested by RD but he said I need a specific type of med for deworming which I couldn't get :(
Well if it’s true what RD mentioned then it won’t matter. Plus I didn’t see ur other thread. So it’s always a shot in the dark with cichlids and bloat/worms etc.

Would research and see what you’re able to get a hold of then repost. Plus you mentioned that ur not sure if your fish is sick.

Don’t know all the details about u’ve posted already prior.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store