API General Cure

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
I'm skeptical of products that have a little of everything. There's a good chance they don't provide sufficient dosages of the ingredients you desire.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Well if it’s true what RD mentioned then it won’t matter. Plus I didn’t see ur other thread. So it’s always a shot in the dark with cichlids and bloat/worms etc.

Would research and see what you’re able to get a hold of then repost. Plus you mentioned that ur not sure if your fish is sick.

Don’t know all the details about u’ve posted already prior.
If I start the GC treatment, do I need to turn off filtration and do I stop feeding during the 4-day duration?

I'm skeptical of products that have a little of everything. There's a good chance they don't provide sufficient dosages of the ingredients you desire.
I'm skeptical too hence the reason I'm asking for opinions..

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If you plan to treat anyway. Then move to a qt tank and leave the filter on and feed as long as it’s not a bloat issue.

Need to watch ur water carefully.

With that said I would suggest taking RDs advice and find something close to levamisole if that’s what’s needed. Especially if ur fish isn’t sick looking or acting. There’s some time still.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
I used general cure a few weeks ago for some anchor worms on my main tank it did not affect my BB. I did alot of research on it prior to use. I also did normal feedings. I left everything the same no issues.

Reactions: tarheel96

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ok HH, best of luck with all of this. It must be very frustrating not being able to get some of these meds as easy as most of us. On the plus side you don't have to deal with -40F temps! :) Good luck, I hope that your fish bounces back.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
For now all I can do is wait for the med to arrive..

As for the main tank, do I need to worry about worms/parasites that might have latched off and free swimming?
Are there any preventative measures to ensure the tank is safe for future use (other than stripping down everything and bleach/boil every filter stuff)?
I've already done a massive water change about 90~95%

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
I read a similar article somewhere.. So to sum it up, the worm cycle will be gone if there's no host in the water? My main tank has no fish in it just tap water and filter medias (sponges, jap mat, K1, bio rings) so I suppose it's safe then?

About the deworming meds, if I could find levamisole, do I still need praziquantel and metronidazole? What about fenbendazole? Do I use all meds combined if I can find all of these meds?
And if I couldn't find any levamisole, which meds are the next best thing?
(Planning to scout some of the pharmacies so just want to be sure I buy the best working meds and not waste $$ on unnecessary ones)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
LOL, read the info in the link, and spend some time reading/searching in the illness folder. I have already explained deworming meds in your other thread, and what you need, and why. The rest can easily be found in the illness portion of MFK, lots of recent threads about deworming. Metronidazole is not a deworming agent.

As I explained in your other thread, your fish may not even have worms, but considering its extreme stunted size, it's eating habits, and that its a FH purchased in Malaysia, I would most definitely want to rule out IP's and worms. That, or you simply have a genetically dud of a fish.

The rest is up to you.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
So today I got my hands on some GC and just to be sure, do I dose the water as per instruction on the box or do I add GC with food?
I bought some frozen bloodworms in case I need to medicate them with GC.. I researched online and people add epsom and GC into fish food(mostly pellets) but my fish won't eat pellets which is why I bought the frozen bw.. However, with fbw, I'm unsure of the epsom and GC dosage..
Is this even necessary or is it the same as dosing GC straight into the quarantine tank?

I'm truly sorry if I've repeatedly asked the same questions but I get jittery when it comes to medication/chemicals..
Thanks in advance..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store