Identifying baby goliath tigerfish

Lobonator

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2015
I'd say either VATF or FATF. The stripes wont show well on any of them at that size. Aside from that the head shape doesnt look right to be TATF or BATF.

Reactions: Cowturtle

Lobonator

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2015
I'd say either VATF or FATF. The stripes wont show well on any of them at that size. Aside from that the head shape doesnt look right to be TATF or BATF.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I feel the specimen looks to thick to be fatf. I've seen smal vatf with easily visible stripes so I wouldn't say none have striping or to not pay mind to that. Head shape is why I ruled out batf as well. Don't believe fatf had an underbite either but I suppose variation is possible. You guys are forgetting to check the adipose, color is opposite of brevis, brevis would be grey on outside, outside is black inside is grey or clearing this specimen. For fatf, entire adipose is grey. Adipose is important in ID for all species I find. Look at payara. Carries over to cats, look at wyckioides vs wyckii or nemurus etc. one thing you guys didn't mention is why I ruled out batf and fatf. I think it's thick for a juvie which also hints away from fatf. So again not tatf or gatf so, vatf variant imo. But who am I lol

Lobonator

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2015
are these guys hardy or are they weak?
From my experience with my old Tanzy, they are extremely hardy. I've had mine heal up after an absolute mauling it took from a peacock bass.

As far as tolerance to water. Mine was healthy in a variety of water conditions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store