Sick Black Spotted Spiny Eel

Kovermyer14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2017
Hey everyone, new to this website. I have a black spotted freshwater eel that has been much less active lately. I believe he is sick or injured, but I’m not sure which one nor which disease. He has one large white patch near his tail. He is approximately 8 inches long and about 10 months old. He is housed in a 75 gallon tank with a blood parrot, tiger Oscar, and Pleco. Please help identify his issue. I am thinking on quarantining him, but I want to use that as a last resort as it puts a lot of stress on the fish. I will attach pictures. Water parameters are
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

F105F23D-7529-4405-ADE2-D466AEFF9A9E.jpeg

Kovermyer14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2017
what type of pleco? It looks like when a pleco sucks on slime coat
I believe he is just a common Pleco. I’ve had Him for years and he’s only about 6 inches long. I did see the Pleco sucking on my eel shortly after posting this. I immediately moved my eel to a 10G hospitality tank and put 2 tsp aquarium salt in there. What’s kind of worrying me though is the fact that the eel often lays lopsided on the ground and swims in an awkward fashion. I’m not sure if this is because of his injury or if there are any other underlying problems. Any other reccomendations on treatment? Also, should I house them separately from now on? I’m thinking the Pleco resorted to eating the eel because honestly, I quit putting algae wafers in about 6 months ago due to the Oscar just gobbling up everything I put in there. I assumed the Pleco would be fine just eating algae but obviously not. I would love to keep them together, I guess I just have to figure a way to feed the Pleco properly (without the Oscar eating all his food) so this doesn’t happen again.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
it's stress my black spotted did this for several days when he jumped and was on the ground for probably hours. He looked like he wasn't going to survive but after a week he started to get better. Clean water and time will help heal him don't worry about trying to feed him till he starts to recover he most likely won't eat. As far as the pleco if it is a common and he is only 6" and you have had him for years he is woefully underfed. Post a pic and I'll verify what type he is since there are a couple commons. As far as your pleco eating him he was eating the slime coat. The worst slime coat suckers are the Pterygoplichthys group, usually the case is they are hungry and not getting enough nutrients. Unfortunately sometimes they decide they like the taste and will keep doing it even if they start getting enough food. I would keep them separated for now and let the eel recover. While the eel is recovering I would start feeding your pleco some cucumber. The way I do it is I cut a cucumber in half or quarters and zip tie it to a stainless steel butter knife to weigh it down, I have also seen rubber bands used. You don't need to blanch it but remove uneaten portion after 24-36 hours and put a fresh piece in every 2-3 days. You can also scrape out the seeds to reduce the mess

Reactions: Kovermyer14

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would separate. Could be the pleco. Keep dim lights and hope it makes it overnight.

Kovermyer14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2017
it's stress my black spotted did this for several days when he jumped and was on the ground for probably hours. He looked like he wasn't going to survive but after a week he started to get better. Clean water and time will help heal him don't worry about trying to feed him till he starts to recover he most likely won't eat. As far as the pleco if it is a common and he is only 6" and you have had him for years he is woefully underfed. Post a pic and I'll verify what type he is since there are a couple commons. As far as your pleco eating him he was eating the slime coat. The worst slime coat suckers are the Pterygoplichthys group, usually the case is they are hungry and not getting enough nutrients. Unfortunately sometimes they decide they like the taste and will keep doing it even if they start getting enough food. I would keep them separated for now and let the eel recover. While the eel is recovering I would start feeding your pleco some cucumber. The way I do it is I cut a cucumber in half or quarters and zip tie it to a stainless steel butter knife to weigh it down, I have also seen rubber bands used. You don't need to blanch it but remove uneaten portion after 24-36 hours and put a fresh piece in every 2-3 days. You can also scrape out the seeds to reduce the mess
I will

Kovermyer14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2017
532C2B73-FF72-447D-84E4-1D46E10D114D.jpeg
Really appreciate the advice, I hope time heals him and it’s all stress. The picture I have of the Pleco is kind of hard to see as the Night light is on currently, lemme know if you need to see another

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
View attachment 1290100
Really appreciate the advice, I hope time heals him and it’s all stress. The picture I have of the Pleco is kind of hard to see as the Night light is on currently, lemme know if you need to see another
From the pic I can say it is a Pterygoplichthys most likely one of these P. gibbiceps, P. joselimaianus, or P. Pardalis. But without a clearer picture I can't say for sure

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store