Central and South American stocking ideas for a 55 gl

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
Buenos tetras,emperor tetras and diamond tetras should be fine in your tank and won’t be eaten by the angel

Reactions: tlindsey

Cichlidguy1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2017
After doing a bit of research I came across some websites that said that the stocking below would work with little to no problems, I just want to get a second opinion to make sure.

1-Blue Acara (Same sex as FM and BC)
1-Firemouth (same sex as BA and BC)
1-Black Convict (same sex as BA and FM)
4-Angelfish (juvies)
4- Bolivian Rams (1 male 3 female)

Jeremy Anderson

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Potatoland
hoboflyfishing.com
SA cichlids include festae and umbrifera, and don’t mix those with rams and angels either, lol. Or anything else, including each other, but I am rambling.

You have the begnning of two different stock lists there, the way I see it. It depends what your priorities are on that list.

Angels and Rams go together well, sure, though in my experience spawning angels will beat on the rams a little, they can make a good community tank. A pair of Apistogramma agasizzii would probably do okay in there, maybe lemon tetras for dithers, or rummynose tetras as long as they are not so small the angels can munch them. And one or two bristlenose “plecos” (Ancistrus spp.) and/or some Corydoras cats

The other three species on your list might do okay together, but Angels and rams would not have fun in there at all.

Central American and “community tank” don’t go together very easily, but there are a lot of options.

What fish or types of fish are you most interested in, like top two maybe?

Cichlidguy1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2017
SA cichlids include festae and umbrifera, and don’t mix those with rams and angels either, lol. Or anything else, including each other, but I am rambling.

You have the begnning of two different stock lists there, the way I see it. It depends what your priorities are on that list.

Angels and Rams go together well, sure, though in my experience spawning angels will beat on the rams a little, they can make a good community tank. A pair of Apistogramma agasizzii would probably do okay in there, maybe lemon tetras for dithers, or rummynose tetras as long as they are not so small the angels can munch them. And one or two bristlenose “plecos” (Ancistrus spp.) and/or some Corydoras cats

The other three species on your list might do okay together, but Angels and rams would not have fun in there at all.

Central American and “community tank” don’t go together very easily, but there are a lot of options.

What fish or types of fish are you most interested in, like top two maybe?
I'm more into the South American "community" set up. So I definitely want Angels in there, the rest can vary, so Bolivian Rams and others can be interchangeable if we might say.
As of right now I'm just brain-storming species.

I will take your advice and not mix CA and SA, so what about this:
* 1-2 Angels
* 4 BolivianRams (1 male 3 female)
* 1 Electric blue Arcara
* and a couple of ditter fish if possible

Reactions: Jeremy Anderson

Cichlidguy1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2017
I don’t think the Acara will be especially good for the others, but some individuals are super chill. I think M altispinosus is a good choice! I want bolivian rams someday.
Instead of the Acara what other cichlid could go with what I have ?
I've heard that Acara are great community fish, and one would establish it's own territory. Would they attack the Bolivian Rams?

Jeremy Anderson

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Potatoland
hoboflyfishing.com
Instead of the Acara what other cichlid could go with what I have ?
I've heard that Acara are great community fish, and one would establish it's own territory. Would they attack the Bolivian Rams?
It depends on their sizes and if you introduce them all together, or what order they are introduced, and a million other things. Bolivian rams get bigger than ramirezi, so you’re probably good to go, I am probably suffering from some kind of cognitive bias or another.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store