Central and South American stocking ideas for a 55 gl

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Acaras are unpredictable. My electric blue acaras murdered two half-dollar sized angels within an hour of putting the acaras in the tank. However the acaras were fine with Heros and Geophagus. They can go either way and unfortunately the only way to know is to try.

Cichlidguy1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2017
Acaras are unpredictable. My electric blue acaras murdered two half-dollar sized angels within an hour of putting the acaras in the tank. However the acaras were fine with Heros and Geophagus. They can go either way and unfortunately the only way to know is to try.
Oh gosh, maybe that's a no for the Acara?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Cichlids all have different personalities, so hard to say if the EBA will actually be a problem or will be fine. In my opinion, you have the right idea with the stocking and your stock is likely to work out; just keep an eye on the acara and if he is too aggressive, take him back. Even without the acara you will have the possibility for aggression. I would recommend looking up how to sex rams and only getting one male. Whenever I try more than one male in a smallish tank (45 gal last time I tried) the small one gets bullied.

Reactions: Jeremy Anderson

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Personally I would hold back on adding to many cichlid species in a 55.
I think the angels and Bolivian rams is enough. I also think you will get more out of your Bolivians and angels without adding more cichlids to interfere with them.
I don't think the tank will be lacking either,Bolivians and angels are both great interesting and entertaining species.
I would add more fish though. Black widow,black phantom, emperor and bentosi tetras can all be found together in the wild with Bolivian rams.
This is the direction I would take the stock,could be a nice little biotope.

Reactions: magpie and tlindsey

Cichlidguy1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2017
I think the angels and Bolivian rams is enough. I also think you will get more out of your Bolivians and angels without adding more cichlids to interfere with them.
I don't think the tank will be lacking either,Bolivians and angels are both great interesting and entertaining species.
I would add more fish though. Black widow,black phantom, emperor and bentosi tetras can all be found together in the wild with Bolivian rams.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, a biotope with a few cheatways since not all of the specific elements can be found where I am at.

What would you say the number of tetras per species be ? Like 6 of each and add three different species ?

Also can Bolivian Rams protect their eggs/fry from a cloud of tetras ?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
What would you say the number of tetras per species be ? Like 6 of each and add three different species ?
That would work or you could just have one larger group of the same species.

If your worried about the tetras preying on fry,something like marbled hatchet fish would be a much safer option.
They are also geographically correct.

Jeremy Anderson

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Potatoland
hoboflyfishing.com
1910BD49-4345-4A19-A57A-E1D340149D1C.jpeg
I am glad you are considering this advice, OP. I love my (75 gal.) Discus/rams community, I have Corys, a bristlenose and a pair of Apistos in there too. I wanted some Rummynose tetras but it seems like a good mix, always fun to watch and everyone is thriving, so I don’t want to upset the balance.
Hatchetfish are a great choice, but I am personally partial to the idea of a big school of Rummynose, like 12-15. Unless you want to end up with fry, anyway, in which case I am a believer in dedicated species breeder tanks.

By the way, that’s my first aquarium, ever... I am nothing if not intrepid.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store