Help Arowana barely moving bottom of tank

FriscoArowana

Feeder Fish
Dec 29, 2017
Hello,

I am new to this forum and reaching out to anyone who may provide me with some guidance on how to save my Jardini Arowana. I have a 12-14 inch Jardini which I have had since July 2017. My tank is a 8x2x2 tank w/canister filters Fluval FX-6 and Ehiem Pro 3 and I do a 25% water change weekly and a monthly filter/media cleaning. Tank mates include 2-Blood Red Parrots + 1-Silver Arowana + 1-Electric Blue Acara + 1-Black Ghost Knife.

He has been doing well up until about two weeks ago when he started swimming funny and starting this week he seems to have gotten worst by just sitting at the bottom of the tank and barely moving. I have checked my my water and results are: PH (6.4-6.6); Ammonia (0-.25); Nitrite (0-.25); Nitrate (80-160)...I have done 2 partial water changes this week to bring the Nitrate down. All the other fish are eating and swimming around fine.

I talked to the LFS and they recommend that I put some API Melafix and treat the fish for a week. I started the treatment on Wednesday 12/27 at which time the Jardini was just sitting in the clear tube (photo attached). Today (12/29) the Jardini is trying to move around more on the bottom of the tank...but he is unable to swim (photo attached). I have read in an old forum to do an Epsom Salt bath to help with the swim bladder issue.

I am wondering if I should wait a few more days to see if the Melafix works or should also do an Epsom Salt bath? If I should do an Epsom Salt Bath can someone provide me with the appropriate salt to water ratio that would be safe for my Jardini...How long should I leave him in the bath...do I need to add filtration or aeration to the temporary tank? Thank You for your Help!!Jardini - on Monday.jpg Jardini - after 2-days on Melafix.jpg Jardini - on Monday.jpg Jardini - after 2-days on Melafix.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello,

I am new to this forum and reaching out to anyone who may provide me with some guidance on how to save my Jardini Arowana. I have a 12-14 inch Jardini which I have had since July 2017. My tank is a 8x2x2 tank w/canister filters Fluval FX-6 and Ehiem Pro 3 and I do a 25% water change weekly and a monthly filter/media cleaning. Tank mates include 2-Blood Red Parrots + 1-Silver Arowana + 1-Electric Blue Acara + 1-Black Ghost Knife.

He has been doing well up until about two weeks ago when he started swimming funny and starting this week he seems to have gotten worst by just sitting at the bottom of the tank and barely moving. I have checked my my water and results are: PH (6.4-6.6); Ammonia (0-.25); Nitrite (0-.25); Nitrate (80-160)...I have done 2 partial water changes this week to bring the Nitrate down. All the other fish are eating and swimming around fine.

I talked to the LFS and they recommend that I put some API Melafix and treat the fish for a week. I started the treatment on Wednesday 12/27 at which time the Jardini was just sitting in the clear tube (photo attached). Today (12/29) the Jardini is trying to move around more on the bottom of the tank...but he is unable to swim (photo attached). I have read in an old forum to do an Epsom Salt bath to help with the swim bladder issue.

I am wondering if I should wait a few more days to see if the Melafix works or should also do an Epsom Salt bath? If I should do an Epsom Salt Bath can someone provide me with the appropriate salt to water ratio that would be safe for my Jardini...How long should I leave him in the bath...do I need to add filtration or aeration to the temporary tank? Thank You for your Help!!View attachment 1291031 View attachment 1291032 View attachment 1291031 View attachment 1291032

Your water parameters are not stable you should have 0 ppm ammonia and o ppm nitrite . The amount of water you are changing is not enough because of the size of your fish. I suggest doing a water change make sure you add a dechlorinator such as prime. Start doing larger wc's your nitrates are way to high.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You absolutely need lots of surface agitation if you put Jar in seperate aquarium to treat.

FriscoArowana

Feeder Fish
Dec 29, 2017
Thank you for the feedback and information and I will set up a hospital tank to try the epsom salt bath...and increase my water change for my big tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
While Epsom does have it's uses in the aquarium I doubt if it should be applied in this case.The aro could have been spooked but something causing it to bolt off and possibly injuring one it's internal organs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store