Convict cichlids male to female ratio

Homxer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2018
Bought three convicts today and realised they weren’t all male, one is female. I haven’t really seen any fighting yet but should I purchase more females to prevent them from harassing the individual female and the males fighting each other?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Lose the female or you will soon have 10 million fry:) best sticking to a male group above 5 in my opinion.

Reactions: tlindsey

Homxer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2018
Lose the female or you will soon have 10 million fry:) best sticking to a male group above 5 in my opinion.
Yeh I would lose the female if I could but don’t have another tank to put her in, I don’t really mind having fry. What should I do about the aggression with the males

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I had two males in my 300g and they fought regularly, it's only reduced by numbers really. How big is the tank?
Have you got room to add several more?

Homxer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2018
I had two males in my 300g and they fought regularly, it's only reduced by numbers really. How big is the tank?
Have you got room to add several more?
My tank is 80 gallon, could add a few more I suppose

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Have you got many other fish in there pal?
The increased numbers will help disperse aggression as with any cichlid.
Ideally I would return one male to the LFS and possibly add more females if you want more than two.
You don't really want related fish to breed anyhow, I'm guessing your fish are all siblings?

Homxer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2018
Have you got many other fish in there pal?
The increased numbers will help disperse aggression as with any cichlid.
Ideally I would return one male to the LFS and possibly add more females if you want more than two.
You don't really want related fish to breed anyhow, I'm guessing your fish are all siblings?
Nah they aren’t siblings bought from different stores, I’ve got a few platies and guppies, pleco, shrimp and a large shoal of cardinal tetras

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Do you have a plan for any fry, convicts will over run you. They will breed every fought night like clockwork.
I'm guessing you have fish in there that will control them?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Sounds like a nice tank. The cons might eat the neons when they get bigger.
You have two options really, leave it as it is and keep an eye on them, all fish are different, they could sort it out amongst themselves.
Second you could aim to sort it now, the best bet is to remove a male imho, second is make it a larger group of 5-6 cons.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store