Worried about my large fire eel, looking for advice

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Hey everyone I don’t post often and I really should but I’m looking everywhere for advice and this is a likely spot. I’ve got 4 spiny eels right now one 15 inch tire track eel one 5 inch zig zag eel one 10 inch Borneo python eel and my beloved 16 inch fire eel I’ve raised from a baby. He has recently marred his skin up on something it’s almost as if he wrinckled his skin up in one spot and it doesn’t seem to be improving nor getting worse.. just staying wrinkled and has slight discoloration.. it’s been this way for several weeks maybe even 2 months. I will post a picture or two of the spot. Any advice on helping fix his skin blemish is welcome!!

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
90ECA155-70CC-4C03-A5E3-3DEE7C7E1D51.jpeg First picture is just for reference second shows the injury It’s nothing crazy but I want him to have good skin as he grows older EB4337FD-72B1-46E0-B7EA-E408A71E41A9.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Doesn’t look that bad to be honest. Would suggest qtip with hydrogen peroxide and rub/debris the area. Then qtip with methylene blue to the area twice daily for 5 days. Should help keep it clean and promote skin growth hopefully.

Reactions: Troy.m

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Doesn’t look that bad to be honest. Would suggest qtip with hydrogen peroxide and rub/debris the area. Then qtip with methylene blue to the area twice daily for 5 days. Should help keep it clean and promote skin growth hopefully.
Thanks I’ll the methylene blue and hope that it makes him beautiful again!

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Could it possibly be heater burn?

It almost looks as if it could be a permanent scar, but I can’t tell for sure.
Not likely I have one of those fancy fluvals with the thick plastic cage all around it, what I assume it’s from is he likes to think every pvc tube in the tank is his and will push bichirs out.. one resists and he might have just abraded his skin against the pvc

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I had to get rid of my PVC pipes because my fire eels started to outgrow them and they were getting injured going in and out. I did have them filed down well too.

richyrich

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
uk
Mine loved the pvc pipe to, I had to upgrade sizes several times while he grew. I found he was much more outgoing when I had the pipe in, he would chill out inside with just his head poking out but as soon as I would come near the tank he would spring out begging for food.

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Mine loved the pvc pipe to, I had to upgrade sizes several times while he grew. I found he was much more outgoing when I had the pipe in, he would chill out inside with just his head poking out but as soon as I would come near the tank he would spring out begging for food.
Mine is the exact same way! yes the day after the injury i used a dremel and files/ rounded all the pvc in the tank.. everyone has they're own tube.. it makes for an ugly tank but for happy fish and thats what matter, i just added a much larger tube but he still stays in his original one the ghost knife has adopted the monster tube.. so it seems that the pvc and maybe some territorial-ness was the cause of the injury. do yall think it will ever return back to normal skin?

Reactions: richyrich
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store