Tiny white bugs ate my eggs!

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
Its these ones. Currently farking them up right now with a water change to end all water changes. I got up this morning looked at my jag and he was covered in the carnts!Screenshot_2018-03-21-16-12-01.png

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
Its these ones. Currently farking them up right now with a water change to end all water changes. I got up this morning looked at my jag and he was covered in the carnts!View attachment 1305514

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
1522327064984-1542553705.jpg **** yeah i hid the food from my sister so she stopped feeding them. ( thats where the over feeding was coming from) i go outta my way to suck up as many as i can during draining. The population has definitely decreased. Thanks for the advice guys. No one on here has delt with everything now im a step wiser to the top. fark yeah carnts 1522327163428282090543.jpg

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Hahaha, oh my. I wanted to see what those were so I typed in carnts, thinking that’s what they were called. XD

They look like nasty little things. They are a type of crustaceans, right?

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
AHAH! Thats gold... type of copepod i think or seed shrimp though they arent actually shrimp.both can be wiped off and introduced the same way. Introduced by foreign objects wiped out by cleaner water conditions.

Reactions: MrsE88

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just a thought,
I'm not convinced the copepods ate "viable" eggs, though I could be wrong.
Were they white or a creamy dull yellow. Pure white eggs are often duds, and creamy colored or yellow eggs usually are viable.
If this was the first spawn for the Parachromis, they may not have gotten it right, it often takes practice.
So the eggs could have been infertile from the get go, and infertile eggs degrade quickly.
Experienced Parachromis parents constantly mouth viable eggs, cleaning and ridding the eggs of debris, and parasites.
If the eggs were not viable, the parents would eventually just ignore them.
Also, if your sister was tossing in food by the train load, this alone could overwhelm the eggs and smother them with debris, which causes them to quickly fungus, even if temporarily viable. Eggs must have a free flow of oxygen to survive.
The copepods tend to swoop down when fungus is abundant, making it appear they are the bad guys, but they may have just been cleaning up.

the eggs above are infertile, stark white, no chanceoof getting fry.

the eggs in the pic above are fertile and produced many fry.
below is another example of fertile eggs

and another

as eggs mature just before and after hatching will also get white, and is when parents need to remove the fry to another area, as fungus takes over the remaining egg "shells".
There will always be a few infertile eggs in any spawn, and they are obvious, because they are while.
A good parent will get rid of the infertile ones, you can easily see them below.

Last edited:

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
Hell yeah thats some good info! My eggs looked like the last picture . Just a few infertile eggs. Turns out it was for the good, as my local fishy place is swamped with jags atm and wouldnt take the fry anyway. My power apparently turned off for 6 hrs about the same time as i lost the batch of eggs.. i only realise this when i recieved an $80 check in the mail for the inconvenience.. so yeahh both incidents coincide. I had no power so no air, heat or current and the over enlistment of the clean up crew happened seemingly at the same time.

Reactions: Davidiator
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store