Creating natural, functional cichlid display tanks

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Happy to see you back on the scene and happy to make you laugh.
I half expected to see you re appear to show a whole new tank setup and show us how you did it.
Not got that far yet.
I do have a standard 75 that I plan on setting up a few tempory biotopes in.
It will be an enjoyable project for me personally. I would also like to try and convince people that you don't need huge tanks to create an interesting display that looks to scale.
I also live with the futile hope that more people will realise what fits a 75,can still be interesting and impressive.
Guapotes, amphs, Ecuadorian terrors and Oscars plus many other tank busters have no place in a 75.
I am hoping to shine a light on those that do. As I said, probably futile but I'm going to have fun trying.

Reactions: mrrobxc and Lilyann

Lilyann

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Not got that far yet.
I do have a standard 75 that I plan on setting up a few tempory biotopes in.
It will be an enjoyable project for me personally. I would also like to try and convince people that you don't need huge tanks to create an interesting display that looks to scale.
I also live with the futile hope that more people will realise what fits a 75,can still be interesting and impressive.
Guapotes, amphs, Ecuadorian terrors and Oscars plus many other tank busters have no place in a 75.
I am hoping to shine a light on those that do. As I said, probably futile but I'm going to have fun trying.
Hopefully they will discover the beauty of a large shoal of tetras :)

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Anything stopping you from doing a nice little UK biotope?

I'm itching for some native fish, oh my soul. Problem is sourcing them and my only available tank is a 60 litre. Here's a short video clip from Kirstenbosch garden:

Small darty fish are Breede river redfins and the cichlid like fish is a Cape kurper (Sandelia capensis) Which are both awesome. They get 4.5 and 8" respectively :)

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Anything stopping you from doing a nice little UK biotope?
No cichlids.

We do have the humble stickleback which is quite an interesting little fish, suitable for life in a 75.
Could make an easy and interesting tank.
My favourite is the perch, probably the closest thing we have to a cichlid in our waters. I feel they would need a 180 minimum . I am drawn to non cichlid fishes more and more. I just can't bring myself to set up a tank without including at least one cichlid species.
Old habits die hard I guess.
The tank in your link is nice. I like the natural green glow to the tank and the fish look interesting.
I do have a pond in my garden with no cichlids, just carp. I'm down to my last 5 thanks to a persistent heron. He's a magnificent bird but a pain in the arse all the same. I've tried all manner of methods to keep him away from my fish but the bugger always finds a way.
If I loose all my fish I plan on stocking it with turtles.
Back to biotopes. I am itching to do something with thorichthys again.Sajicas are also a smaller c/a I would like to do something with again. I'm also drawn to the idea of a West African biotope. I've been itching to get a group of transvestitus for ages. Love all the other West African non cichlid tank mates that are appropriate and available too.
Not sure which I will set up first nor when. The Mrs keeps banging on about fitting a new bathroom. Once I'm free of this persistent and constantly reminded obligation, I'll be a free man again. (until the next mind blowing persistent nagg starts. She can't help herself) Then I can start playing fish tanks again.
If only women were as keen to re decorate the spare 75 gallon as they are the already decorated house! Ah the perfect woman

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
We do have the humble stickleback which is quite an interesting little fish, suitable for life in a 75.
Oh, I would think so! Remember them from my Britland days. Cute little critters

My favourite is the perch, probably the closest thing we have to a cichlid in our waters. I feel they would need a 180 minimum . I am drawn to non cichlid fishes more and more. I just can't bring myself to set up a tank without including at least one cichlid species.
Old habits die hard I guess.
They are awesome! Somewhere I have seen an awesome tank with Roach, perch and others in a shallow-ish setup with a nice flow. Still remember it clearly after so long :)

I do have a pond in my garden with no cichlids, just carp. I'm down to my last 5 thanks to a persistent heron. He's a magnificent bird but a pain in the arse all the same. I've tried all manner of methods to keep him away from my fish but the bugger always finds a way.

If I loose all my fish I plan on stocking it with turtles.
Ouch man, I have lost goldfish to Ibis birds. A mesh cover fixed that, maybe a net could work?

Back to biotopes. I am itching to do something with thorichthys again.Sajicas are also a smaller c/a I would like to do something with again. I'm also drawn to the idea of a West African biotope. I've been itching to get a group of transvestitus for ages. Love all the other West African non cichlid tank mates that are appropriate and available too.
Sajicas are cool!

West Africa is the dream. Currently 7/8 fish in my 75 are African, but a true biotope must happen. Transvestitus are cool, and a beauty in person, but really shred each other. The owner who I visited had them in a literal moss ball tank so they rarely see each other and even then they're brutal.

African butterfly cichlids, dwarf steatocranus or shellies are more easygoing. African butterflies would be perfect for that dense jungle we all love! Only 8cm and peaceful, wonderful eh?

Not sure which I will set up first nor when. The Mrs keeps banging on about fitting a new bathroom. Once I'm free of this persistent and constantly reminded obligation, I'll be a free man again. (until the next mind blowing persistent nagg starts. She can't help herself) Then I can start playing fish tanks again.
If only women were as keen to re decorate the spare 75 gallon as they are the already decorated house! Ah the perfect woman
Good luck haha!

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Transvestitus are cool, and a beauty in person, but really shred each other. The owner who I visited had them in a literal moss ball tank so they rarely see each other and even then
That's interesting Hendre.
How we're they housed, in groups?
What size tank we're they in.?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That's interesting Hendre.
How we're they housed, in groups?
What size tank we're they in.?
There were a handful in a approximately 45x30x30cm tank, then a lone male in another tank who was almost beaten to death before. Very pretty though

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
African butterflies would be perfect for that dense jungle we all love! Only 8cm and peaceful, wonderful eh?
Absolutely. Great little fish. Definitely would not rule those guys out.

I love some of the tetras available too. Some real show stoppers(look at Lilyanns if you haven't already)
Lampeyes and synodontis nigriventis also really appeal to me as tank mates.

Reactions: Lilyann

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Absolutely. Great little fish. Definitely would not rule those guys out.

I love some of the tetras available too. Some real show stoppers(look at Lilyanns if you haven't already)
Lampeyes and synodontis nigriventis also really appeal to me as tank mates.
All good ideas! Some great tanks at the zoo too

A blurry pic of the transvestitus cichlids tank:
upload_2018-5-13_22-31-40.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store