tong training pacman frog

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
HI
I have a some fantasy morph pacman frog that I am trying to tong train and it is going eh so far. He will readily feed on crickits and superworms loose. On tongs he will eat the crickets and superwomen only if the insects legs "scratch" at her face. If you hold the insects or rub her face she will not eat them. When you rub her face she kind of shakes and turns away. Rarely does she try to bite. My goal is to get her on gel food and red wriggler worms/night crawlers. At this point she has only eaten a red wriggler loose once and no interest at all on a tong. Any advice to tong train her? I wish she was more food aggressive. She is about 3 inches across

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Fantasy is part cornuta which is the pickiest of all horned frogs. Red wigglers also secrete a nasty slime that most frogs won't eat. Canadian night crawlers is what I use. It just takes time. Good luck on gel food.

I gently rub under the chin or on the side of the mouth that's usually enough to get a bite. Dubia roaches usually trigger a good reaction.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Remember they have eyes on the sides of their heads which means you have to find the sweet distance in front of them for them to see the food properly

Reactions: Charney

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Fantasy is part cornuta which is the pickiest of all horned frogs. Red wigglers also secrete a nasty slime that most frogs won't eat. Canadian night crawlers is what I use. It just takes time. Good luck on gel food.

I gently rub under the chin or on the side of the mouth that's usually enough to get a bite. Dubia roaches usually trigger a good reaction.
thank you. interesting note about the worms. Will switch to cut up night crawlers.

Remember they have eyes on the sides of their heads which means you have to find the sweet distance in front of them for them to see the food properly
actually have been trying pretty hard to find the sweet spot. So far no luck.

also any idea how much a frog this size should be eating a week?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
thank you. interesting note about the worms. Will switch to cut up night crawlers.

actually have been trying pretty hard to find the sweet spot. So far no luck.

also any idea how much a frog this size should be eating a week?
A few crickets a day or the approximate

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
3" I'd say probably 3-4 times a week. Depending on how much it eats in 15min

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
how often do these frogs typically defecate? Mine goes once a week when I soak him.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Do they ever walk or hop around? I don't think I've ever seen one actually move.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store