Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I am thinking a burlap sack. preferable after its been used after the day fishing trip.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
^Sounds stinky and kinky.....phew.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I carry a bullwhip on my bicycle in a saddlebag, I have used it to back up pit bulls several times. Not only do many in this town feel the need to own one, they let them run loose. A whip is great detterent.
Get off the bicycle first in a dog attack, dogs and mountain lions hate bikes.
I got a nasty bite thru the hand a few years back, took years to get function back and it stilll isn't as good as it was.
Most pit bulls are friendly , however some people think it's ok for aggressive dogs to run wild.
Hello; Don't know if you both were members about 6 to 8 years ago but my similar comments about dogs in general and pit bulls in particular got me ragged on pretty good. One member even wish for me to die.

Hello; last year a new man moved into the area. His place is right along a main road with wide shoulders where I and many others ride bicycles. One afternoon as I rode on the paved shoulder his three boxers spotted me and came charging. First thing I did was get off the bicycle and place it between myself and the closer of the three dogs. I got my glock sprayer out and prepared to defend myself.
I got lucky in that the man was also out and was able to call the dogs back. He even apologized for the incident, I guess he understood the situation. I probably could not have gotten all three dogs as my model 42 sprayer has only 7 sprays.

Hello; I am with you on this, but if the past reaction I received is an example of what is to come then get prepared.

Hello; good choice. Back when I could still run a fellow had a german shepard that came at me one day. I used pepper spray which stopped the dog briefly. I was on a paved street and began walking backward away from the dog. It came at me a second time and got another dose.
After that day I carried some mustang II spray and the pepper spray. The dog would spot me coming and start charging thru his yard. I learned that if I had something in my hand the dog would stop about 10-15 feet away and go on like it wanted to eat me up. That dog did bite another runner but he never got me.
I carry RAID wasp killer, because it is supposed to blind and keep your target blinded, has almost 25ft of range, and you have a lot of shots. You can also carry it in NYC, where you can't carry firearms, large blades, or spraypaint. It sits in a waterbottle holder on my bike.
When I said medium pistol round power, I was not pulling your leg. Look how the slingstones shatter on rock, much less the destruction of the melons.
I made a sling out of a torn jacket once. it was deadly, but I had zero control over where the stones went, so I chucked before I killed someone.
Me and my brother used to have whips back when we were kids(70's)...also had switchblades. Don't what happened to any of those.
I carried big blades for a while, but I'm scared of getting in trouble, or a cop shooting me for sharpening a pencil, so my pocket knife now has a 3" blade.
Kris P Bacon Kris P Bacon , I love your bike. I am so jealous! I have an aluminum touring bike with calipers... I want a steel recumbent bad. I paid $$$ for that bike, and thought aluminum was an upgrade - I miss steel frames now, but my new (2 yr old) bike is so much better than my old one...

Last edited:

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
seems I would get bear spray. I issue it at work, we have seasonal bears from time to time. 2 so far this year. I have not seen them as a problem, but its there if you need it.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
I carry RAID wasp killer, because it is supposed to blind and keep your target blinded, has almost 25ft of range, and you have a lot of shots. You can also carry it in NYC, where you can't carry firearms, large blades, or spraypaint. It sits in a waterbottle holder on my bike.

I made a sling out of a torn jacket once. it was deadly, but I had zero control over where the stones went, so I chucked before I killed someone.

I carried big blades for a while, but I'm scared of getting in trouble, or a cop shooting me for sharpening a pencil, so my pocket knife now has a 3" blade.
Kris P Bacon Kris P Bacon , I love your bike. I am so jealous! I have an aluminum touring bike with calipers... I want a steel recumbent bad. I paid $$$ for that bike, and thought aluminum was an upgrade - I miss steel frames now, but my new (2 yr old) bike is so much better than my old one...
I have owned many high end bikes, both aluminum and steel. Aluminum rides harsh and will eventually break, give me steel any day. When talking frame weight VS total weight, aluminum is not that much lighter.
I would sell frames (recumbent) cheap, but shipping is the Mo Fo.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Reactions: Kris P Bacon

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I have owned many high end bikes, both aluminum and steel. Aluminum rides harsh and will eventually break, give me steel any day. When talking frame weight VS total weight, aluminum is not that much lighter.
I would sell frames (recumbent) cheap, but shipping is the Mo Fo.
I know about shipping :( Thanks anyway, I guess. You make your own frames?
There is no competition between my modern trek and the 80's mongoose I had before. The trek is more modern, half the weight, has better shifters,gears,gear selectors, brake calipers,rims, and isn't worn out from however many thousands of miles that mongoose has. But when it comes down to it, a steel frame is almost a living thing and an aluminum one just isn't.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
I know about shipping :( Thanks anyway, I guess. You make your own frames?
There is no competition between my modern trek and the 80's mongoose I had before. The trek is more modern, half the weight, has better shifters,gears,gear selectors, brake calipers,rims, and isn't worn out from however many thousands of miles that mongoose has. But when it comes down to it, a steel frame is almost a living thing and an aluminum one just isn't.
Yep, all built myself except the fork, down tube and seat tube where the bottom bracket meet, and the rear triangle. (From a rear end of a Wal Mart donor bike) Some other builds.P1010076.JPG WIN_20171029_11_43_41_Pro.jpg WIN_20180220_15_28_11_Pro.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store